Today's Treasured Collectibles

[And it's finally above zero even with the wind chill today!


Granted, winter's supposed to technically start this Wednesday, but I love Love LOVE being at the time of year before the twenty-fifth of December when we've got all the Christmas presents bought and made! Just some wrapping to do and food to prepare, and it'll be so good. And all the Christmas programs for my family and I are done!


Anyway, been a busy morning at the office and sharing my favorite finds from the first half of December. See what we've got. -- David]


1. A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.


Leonard Nimoy's last tweet

2. If you would be protected, tolerated, and indulged, protect, tolerate, and indulge one another.


Moses Mendelssohn


That's the problem with malted milk balls -- one's too many and a thousand aren't enough.


Bob Duncan, Good Luck Charlie, "Scary Had A Little Lamb"


4. The Lord is a generous giver, not a distant judge.


Kathryn A. Kleinhans, 120216, Christ Is Our Home


5. To top off how the day has been going ... I'm now being stabbed by my underwire.


(I imagine that hurts.)






6. I'm thinking of a secondary character who makes everything about themselves, no matter what the subject.
The subject could be an Inuit Kofi Annan fan club, and they would make it about themselves, even if the had never heard of Inuits, or Kofi Annan.
I just wish I had someone I could base it upon.




(Cato the Elder and Bob Ditmer come to mind; I have a post earlier this year about that.)




7. It is not enough to serve God with all our soul; the commandment adds, 'and with all thy might,' meaning with all our possessions.


Glückel of Hameln, Die Memoiren der Glückel von Hameln


8. In desperation, [18th century autobiographer and would-be philosopher Solomon] Maimon even considered converting to Christianity, thinking that this would make his path easier. Typically, however, he informed the priest he consulted that he did not really believe in Christianity, but considered its mysteries merely "allegorical representations of the truths that are most important for man." He would convert, he said proudly, only if he could do so without making "a confession of faith which contradicts my reason." Unsurprisingly, the priest rejected this highly contingent offer: "You are too much of a philosopher to be able to become a Christian," he replied. "I must therefore remain what I am," Maimon concluded, "a stiffnecked Jew." For all his criticisms of Judaism and Jewish society, for all his longing to enter a brighter and better world, Maimon was never really anything else.


(Adam Kirsch, The People and the Books, p. 246)


9. Those people who told you not to DREAM high are people who prayed for your FAilure and hate to see your SUCCESS!!!





10. We stopped at a two-pump Gulf station to buy drinks and clean ourselves up. Clark paid fifty cents for a bottle of something called Evian, which turned out to be plain old water. Alf and I teased him mercilessly. What kind of dummy wasted fifty cents on water when there was a free spigot and hose right outside the building? Clark shrugged and drank it down. "It tastes fantastic," he insisted. "This is the best water I've ever tasted."


(Jason Rekulak, The Impossible Fortress, p.222)


[And this book's set in 1987! -- D.]




11. That's the thing. Definitions are tweaked by those who use the label so they aren't 100% defined. And not everyone feels it 100%



12. What would Jesus do ... with an AR15?


(Commentator, 120816, 0822 hrs commenting on the article, " 'I just wanted to do some good': D.C. pizzeria gunman speaks out")


13. Dean may have some competiton. Here's a quote from my new antihero - Tarn:
If you want to break someone—mentally, physically, emotionally—wait until they're happy. Let them live and love and thrive. Once they recognize the value of a life well lived... THAT'S when you move in for the kill. Because you can't take anything from someone who has nothing to lose.





14. Did the Russians give Hillary the nomination though Bernie technically won it. There might be something to that. I stubbed my toe yesterday. I swear the Russians must of moved my bed frame 3 inches to the left




15. Going against the One China policy only serves one purpose. It hopes to resolve a long standing grievance that probably should be addressed. I doubt it will mak...e any meaningful economic impact on the US China relationship. Taiwan is not a good bargaining chip on the economic level with China. It only serves a more political purpose and that should be addressed. Economic issues need to be addressed economically. I certainly agree that the US China relationship has its flaws. China seems they are getting the better end of the bargain. That being said the economics of China still don't pass the level of the developed world. Perhaps a global trade agreement that bunts their influence would be in order. Unfortunately that effort was the now defunct TPP. Much has been said of the Thucydides Trap where a rising power will inevitably come into extreme rivalry with an established power. We might be witnessing the beginning of that.

(Thucydides' mention got my attention. - D.)







16. In baptism we are martyred. We die and are reborn as witnesses to the light of Christ. The word martyr means "witness."


Kathryn A. Kleinhans, 121316, Christ In Our Home


17. You take these things too seriously.
Someone has to.


Sarah and me, 0725 hrs, in an exchange regarding the literal pain in her neck that morning


18. Ah comics and toys...today's treasured collectibles, tomorrows pawned inheritance...





19. I've been called a White Knight on a few occasions by Internet trolls who were ranting about women messing up the comic industry or some crap like that. I would argue with them, and their calling me a White Knight or Neckbeard or Social Justice Warrior was their retort, because if you stick up for women or a minority group that you don't belong to, that's what trolls do, because they assume anyone who sticks up for anyone else is just trying to get laid... because that's how they think.

20. On the tragic flip-side of that, I've been told by a woman that they preferred the troll jerks because they can trust them. Any guy being nice or agreeable to a woman could have an agenda. Holy shit, that's depressing. She'd rather be friends with a misogynist because she knows he's being honest with her.

(posted by the same person three minutes later)

21. Ikr? That frustrates me to no end. People assume that because I'm exercising common courtesy I'm secretly a f--kboy with an agenda and a sense of entitlement.






Comments

Popular Posts