Don't Major on the Minors

Trust me, this I try not to do.


This was also one of the songs our Sunday school children at Bethany sang in their third to fifth grade Christmas program. The whole family was here -- I mean, Martha, Sarah, Jeffrey, and I were here -- after going to Breakfast with the Boys (where we invited our wives) Saturday morning and after a great meal of thin pancakes, salmon, and other assorted fruits and beverages, we heard some awesome fiddle playing by the granddaughter of one of the "Boys" at a gathering of thirty-six people. I use quotes, for those who haven't visited here before, because it's men who average the late fifties in age (so I'm below average in that regard) who come here! It's good fellowship time too. But this past Saturday after the devotional we didn't have Bible study -- it would have been a big crowd to fit into the library! -- but Martha had choir practice and hand bell practice for Sunday's Christmas cantata.


"Bubble Talk" is the coolest game to play!


The kids and I went home for a few hours, and then I brought them back for a pizza party before their own practice for Saturday afternoon's program. Martha and I sat down for a while after her practice got out and then when the kids were done we went over to Gideon's Trumpet for "Jesus' Birthday Party" where some area authors were signing their books, we had some rich birthday cake, and live music was played. AND Martha won a DVD the store was giving away in a drawing ... Saturday night after we'd gotten home and settled in for the evening Martha got a phone call from Gideon's Trumpet that she had won, and I had to be reminded that I'd entered both of us in the competition! I picked it up this morning before I went into my work.


How to Talk to Girls at Parties.


That's been a hassle with me. It's also a short story by Neil Gaiman, and adapted as a graphic novel by him, Fábio Moon, and Gabriel Bá (ISBN 9781616559557), we meet friends Enn and Vic who've been invited to a party and turn up at the wrong one. But before they realize it they meet a variety of girls who are far more than they seem. ("But there was no reasoning with it, and I came to World. Parent-teacher engulfed me, and I was here ... embodied in a decaying lump of meat hanging on a frame of calcium.") The story's not clear why Wain's Wain, Stella, Triolet, and the others were assembled in that house on that particular day -- or at least I didn't read that in the graphic novel -- but that might be the point. Some thing you just can't be given an explanation to, or at least understand.


Remember Labyrinth?


Thirteen years after the events of the movie if I'm reading this right, Jareth the Goblin King and Lord of the Labyrinth has chosen Toby as his successor. Jake T. Forbes and Chris Lie present in volume two of Jim Henson's Return to Labyrinth (ISBN 9781598167269) present Sarah's brother -- no, not Jeffrey! -- as a teenager learning the ropes of rule through a neighboring queen as well as familiar characters from the movie. BUT it seems everyone has their own agenda ... oh, they have no problem with Toby being on the throne, as long as everybody, even the hiding in plain sight Jareth, are able to tell him what to do. Then there's the case of Moppet, the girl who disguises herself as a Goblin and finds herself looking like someone we all remember. This could work.


Sarah's friend Scottie plays a wicked game of UNO.


And when I was her age I did too ... in fact, many times when Mom and Dad's friends would come over to play it would be "picking on David" night. Which I didn't mind for I gave as good as I got in a socially acceptable setting. Scottie was at church with us for Saturday's program and then came home to soon after enjoy homemade spaghetti and lots of garlic bread. We'll be finishing the spaghetti this week, I expect, and Sunday after church and my getting Scottie home I took Sarah and Jeffrey both to get Christmas presents for each other and for Martha. I didn't want to drive to Walmart twice in one day, but even going to Kmart comes close! And last night the kids and I got treated to dinner when we were short on funds ... very thankful, and very wanting to start off with more than we spend!


Return to title, where gratitude is not a minor,

David

Comments

Popular Posts