What A Mouthful!





So today in the United States we observe George Washington's birthday.

And this Saturday at Minot Public Library I not only got a copy of his Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior (it was included in a collection of his writings) along with fifty-seven other books in one bag for three bucks, but also I got to share some of my book-packing tips with one young lady who about to have her SIXTH bag burst on her! Lay the four or five largest books flat on the bottom of the bag and then stack others lengthwise to fit more in. Almost like packing groceries if you think about it, except they will last much longer!


AND today in the United States is President's Day.


Ostensibly, this is a mash-up of Lincoln's and Washington's Birthdays that I remember celebrating on two DIFFERENT days growing up in the late 70s and throughout the 80s. Now Presidents' Day is supposed to be commemorating all Presidents living and dead, I suppose. I just don't hear a lot about it, other than a federal holiday being an excuse for retailers to offer major sales over the weekend. In addition, the kids are off from school today; tomorrow, Martha and I will bring them to school and with Martha's mom and dad have their parent-teacher conferences. Which are usually great!


AND in Canada it's Family Day.


One of the things Jeffrey often asks for when I say we're -- by we're I mean the kids and I, for Martha's out at something -- going out is to wait for we should do this as a family! And I agree. From Saturday's Egyptian-inspired Breakfast With The Boys at church (where Jeffrey was getting over a bug that had him throwing up over the last few days) to Sunday's having him in Sunday School class with nine others and making it through a reading and play on the story of Ruth, Old Testament with the room still standing, it's a good thing. I just can't run the kids around first like we do at Scouts. 


AND yesterday was Valentine's Day, or Single Awareness Day. Or in one third grader's words, HVD.


And I found this post while I've got a few screens open on my work computer, and I thought it would be good -- with nothing incriminating of course.


Because it (was) Valentines Day, answer these 14 questions about your other half.

1. Where did you meet your other half? online, 25 August 2000

2. How long have you been with your significant other? 15 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 6 days

3. If you're married, when did you say "I do"? 12 July 2003


4. What song did you walk down the aisle to? Don't remember, but our wedding song is Shania Twain's "From This Moment"


5. Do you have any children? two; Sarah who is nine and Jeffrey who is eight

6. What's your favorite thing about your other half? Her abiding, persistent faith in Christ ...  and in me, to be honest with you.


7. Were you and your other half high school sweethearts? Nope


8. Where was your first date? Kroll's Diner in Minot, where she had the knephle soup and I had -- but haven't had since for some reason -- beef fleischkueckle. I remember really liking it.


9. How long were you dating before you said "I love you"? I'm going to go with "how long had we known each other online" here because I didn't see her in the flesh until July 2001 -- about four months. At least mid-December 2000 is when I recall Martha and I saying the L words to each other!


10. How long were you dating your other half before they proposed? Think it tacky, but I was in Florida when I proposed OVER THE PHONE to Martha. I said it after Martha had gone back to North Dakota in May 2002 after visiting me in Florida after she's graduated Minot State. I said "I don't want to propose over the phone" after I'd said the words and Martha replied, "You just did."
*insert major blush here*


11. Where is your favorite place you have traveled with your other half? Kentucky, and that's because she was there with me when I got to see my mom alive. (My mom, Sarah and Jeffrey's "Mamaw", died in December 2012.)


12. How do you and your other half usually spend Valentines Day? At home! I admit it, we're not big on going out and any gifts we usually give each other are simple ones.


13. What does your favorite 'date night' consist of? Just. The. Two. Of. Us.


14. What is the best gift you have received from your other half? Forgiveness

Comments

Popular Posts