Refresh My Memory. How Did I Get Talked Into This One?





Eh, to be quite honest, I talked myself into volunteering to help out with one of my son's out of school activities. The mistake comes (came) when you the parent try to live out through your children something that you quit -- or got kicked out of, I don't remember which -- and believe that their seeing you there is going to make them more excited about it. Jeffrey just seemed to me, to me and his mom, more excited about hanging out with his friends out of school than about participating in the activity on his own. I hate how he made it show last night. And hate myself a little more about "pushing" it on him.


I just wanted -- and once again, I'm admitting this is something I wanted more than I think our son did -- other parents/adults in my age bracket to look upon me with some degree of respect, like I actually AM a responsible adult. Well, after finding out getting out of volunteer status is not that simple, I'll stick with the activity until year's end but I won't bring Jeffrey there anymore. There are a few things I've volunteered for that I found myself unable to do in the past that I've gotten majorly chewed out about leaving. I don't need that kind of banishment again, that kind of bitterness, that kind of "you are selfish" (one missionary's words to me when I dared express doubt) for I'm not.


The flu is at last gone from our house, hallelujah! First Jeffrey had it, then me, then Sarah, and at last Martha. Praise the Lord that we had it one at a time, for none of us are fun when we're sick! Anyway, preparations are going on now at our house (in the scant times all of us are at home, anyway) for Sarah's birthday party which we'll be holding this Saturday at our house for her and some of her friends. Our daughter will be ten on Sunday, double digits! That is so hard to wrap my head around, having an in-a-few-days ten year old child. I don't think my age shows, despite the crack I made to Sarah this morning about something I forgot to do ... and right now I forgot what THAT was.


But I've forgotten more than I care to remember sometimes, David







Comments

Popular Posts