Ensign: God's Design For Marriage


All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3 

AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS 4 June 2015 

YOU THINK YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS ABOUT, BUT YOU DON'T.

PLEASE KEEP READING.

That is about as pretentious as I hope I'll ever get with Ensign. My goal is not to convince you, my goal is not to convict you -- to me that is the job of the Holy Spirit Whom Jesus sent as a Comforter after He entered into heaven and promised to come back again. The fact that He uses people like me to convey some truth and maybe open those who read and hear from me to the possibility that there IS more going on than a steady diet of popular culture will tell you ... I won't say that's inconsequential (at least not to me), but I will say it's important (at least to me). This brings us to an issue that will be pervading -- and for that matter, has been pervading our society, especially in terms of how we're considering legally changing how we have defined it.

Marriage. (Or in the word of the bishop from The Princess Bride, "Mawwiage.")

Other than the fact that yes, I did get married to Martha twelve years ago next month and that it is registered with our county courthouse, I didn't see how this is an issue that I have to take a stand on other than to say YES I'M MARRIED. But in the name of ... let's see, what's the buzzword, "climate change", no ... "religious freedom" (which usually only refers to Christian religious freedom, burn the rest of them at the stake) ... no, that's not it ... ah, "family values". I hear people refer to those with a heap of good intentions, but just beneath the surface you've got someone ready to hack to pieces whoever disagrees with them, even if they have never met. I read op-ed pieces and wonder how the commentators can sleep at night, everything is so wrong.

Take a look with me for a minute at Revelation 22:8-11 at the end of your Bibles where the angel who's been telling and showing Jesus' last surviving disciple John the end of the world is now telling him what NOT to do. 

And I John saw these things, and heard. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which showed me these things.
Then saith he unto me, SEE NOT [that is, don't worship me]: for I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the saying of this book: worship God. [Do worship Him.]
And he saith unto me, SEAL NOT [caps at both points are mine] the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

The last few months in the United States we've been faced with what some are calling the redefining of marriage. Instead of marriage being the union be wedding of one man and one woman, the issue facing the United States Supreme Court (the highest judiciary body, per the Constitution's Article III) is whether individual states (in the USA states have a great deal of freedom making their own laws per the Constitution's Ninth and Tenth Amendments) can define marriage within their own boundaries and thereby NOT have to recognize a marriage from another state ... it's a fine kettle of fish. It seems no matter who wins, those who desire to marry and have recognized a marriage to someone of their own gender and those who want to keep marriage between one man and one woman, that we the people lose.

The ruling that comes down from nine people in black robes in Washington D.C. possibly by the end of this month won't change what marriage is. 

Therefore shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave [be joined] unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. 

Genesis 2:24 at the other end of the Bible (in The Princess Bride character Inigo's words: "Back to the beginning!") sets up God's design -- it's not Adam speaking, he did so in the previous verse -- for marriage as an ideal. Not only for the participating individuals to have interlocking body parts, but also for them to face the world as separate, yet one, being. The "one flesh" commitment, covenant, divine union is not and cannot be changed just because another type of marriage is recognized. But it would be cheapened.

TO BE CONTINUED

David 

P. S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with you, and I hope it encourages you too. If I'm not or you want me to get lost, please let me know -- thank you! 

Thank You, Lord, that we can come to You in praise and prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even the ones we don't know we have! Let us pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and around the world. 

Thank You, Lord, for all of us in leadership and service here and abroad, as well as for opportunities we have and the promise of new life! I pray we all seek and have a blessed week. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts