Ask Me Why, Even If I Don't Know.


"Can't the Pink Bear tell?" asked Cayke anxiously.

"No, for that is in the future. He can tell anything that has happened, but nothing that is going to happen. Don't ask me why, for I don't know."

Today we begin with an excerpt from L. Frank Baum's eleventh Oz book (the fifth one I'd read though, behind books three, four, six, and seven -- I don't want to over-italicize today, so I leave it to you to look up the titles) The Lost Princess of Oz, and as I looked this up I found out that this Friday, the fifth of June, will be the ninety-eighth anniversary of its publication. And I will be away from here this Friday ... but that's as far as I will go with that, because I have been told in such a way as to believe it that some people write in these posts (sometimes they even look at mine; hard to believe) where they're going to do and how long they'll be gone from their homes and take advantage of it.

I can refer to one event that happened in (my) recent past with some cheer. This past Saturday was my last day at Marketplace over by my house -- I'd been working weekends (actually, all but one weekend was only Saturday) there and it was a mixed blessing, again for me. I admit, I did like the department manager telling me it was invaluable to have had me there, and it's not like I'll never walk in that store again -- but I will miss being there. Hard to word it. Now we're supposed to have more coming in because Martha started a second job a few weeks ago at our south Broadway Burger King a few nights a week (in addition to her regular job with Trinity), and I should be getting my sleep

caught back up again since we're not doing the Minot Daily News paper route either. Sunday morning at church we honored the high school graduates from our area who attend Bethany -- fifteen of them, the most I've ever seen up front, and I had it pointed out to me that every one of them had an idea what they were doing next! Fourteen are going to college or university, and one's taking a year old before going "back" to school herself. That afternoon we went out to Ground Round for lunch, and I fell in love with their Hot Sicilian sandwich -- picture pizza on flatbread with marinara dipping sauce and only paid (this time) a buck eighty for the kids with mine and Martha's meals at regular prices.

We also went grocery shopping at Marketplace's distinguished competitor in Minot, Cashwise Foods to pick up some essentials for our pantry, and then at Marketplace, and then home. A few hours later after I tossed the ball around outside with Jeffrey -- an awesome catcher! -- we came in for a homemade spaghetti dinner with fewer noodles than we thought we had, which is ok with me because I love LOTS OF SAUCE, and then Martha's oldest sister Malesa came over to cut my hair, which it desperately needed. When people starting calling me ma'am who look at the back of my head, it's definitely time. And as I close with two days of school left for the year, I take a deep breath

And prognosticate, David

Comments

Popular Posts