Mischief, Madness, and Monosyllabic Things



[For these fave posts I've gathered from the first half of February, I would especially pay attention to status 28. ;) ]

1. *head desk head desk head desk* My characters are hitting it off great! This is a problem. They are being too ooey gooey - I need conflict dangit! Where's the bleeding conflict??? How do I make his commitment phobic workaholicism rise to the surface??? HOw do I get her self preservation instincts to kick in???? Come on you two - get with the program! YOu had your weekend love fest - we need to move on!

2. They don't seem to understand the difference between people pretending to be who they are not. i.e. trolls and catfish. And genuine people who want to keep a seperate p ersona for professional reasons, such as authors, actors, musicians etc. And this annoys me. I KNOW some of the people I speak to every day do not use their real name, but that doesn't mean they are fake people. They really do seem to have their priorities wrong!

3. Well, to me that reads like, "How dare that child read!" How, exactly, does a child "hide a book in a backpack?" Isn't a backpack supposed to BE exactly for holding things like your lunch and books? Hiding a book means that you walked around the house, hid it in the bushes, and then opened the back door to get it out of the bushes when nobody's looking. If it's in your backpack? That's where it is supposed to be. That's the stupidest complaint I believe I've ever read from a parent, who clearly does regular backpack checks, and their child knows it. I would have said that to this woman's face, too. "How dare your child use backpacks for BOOKS! The horror!"

As for content? Okay, this is going to be long:

It depends on your child. My daughter read The Ilyad and The Odyssey by Homer in the 4th grade, (9 years old) the complete, non-abbreviated works. She'd been reading novels since kindergarten. When she was in high school, Honor's English, they gave the students the abbreviated picture books of The Ilyad and The Odyssey, and she noticed it immediately and complained. The teacher said, "We don't think the entire contents are appropriate" and that was for 14 year olds, in high school, Honor's English. She said, "Well, you're leaving out the Cyclops and a lot of the more interesting parts, then. I've read them already." She wasn't wrong. The abridged, sanitized, picture book version bored the students to tears. They rebelled against reading Homer. They skipped it and took the F's in High School's Honors English. What age do they stop being precious little snowflakes who are allowed to engage their brains in the actual literature? Does that come with a driver's license? If my daughter showed an interest in reading a book at a certain age (awareness it existed and read it) I let her. I read it, too. Her voracious reading appetite made me a constant reader. Her favorite authors in elementary school were Homer and Roald Dahl.

Yes, I am aware that literature is categorized into age appropriate reading material, in fact, I even know how to read the label in the back to understand what grade what book is for. I also understand that the label is for "The average" reader. If you have an above average reader? You are going to be discouraging him or her from reading by sticking to what the world, teacher, library, Library of Congress coding says is "right" for them. MAYBE this child is an above average reader. Good. That means that the content is going to be a bit different. Advanced. Here's a suggestion: Read the book yourself so that you can have discussions about that material with your advanced reading child.

So, here's the question, do you censor your child's reading material "to protect them" with the risk of turning them off from reading? Or, do you present your child with literature, as written, and hope this sparks and interest in reading that stays with them for a lifetime? I say, the latter. If the book is too much for the child? They know how to close the cover. We don't need to do that for them while they are reading or before they ever pick it up off the shelf. Their children, with intelligence, and the ability to make these decisions themselves, or have a nightmare or two.

Before we say, "See? Nightmare or two!" Okay. However, the other side is that some of my friends that had a nightmare or two from literature or TV shows are now very nice people that make a living as horror writers. They welcome nightmares as a path to income. (How is that for counterintuitive?) Children are CHILDREN, not precious little snowflakes to be protected from literature.

I've read The Hunger Games trilogy, as well as The Harry Potter books, (which also had objectionable material for a lot of parents), the Twilight series, Divergent- all of them. My biggest problem with The Hunger Games is actually the behavior of Katniss Everdeen. Other than her direct decision to volunteer as tribute for her sister, she is completely directed by other people, is a complete flake when it comes to her decisions around Peta and Gale. The only reason she is heroic is completely situational and random. The movie changes the meaning of The Mockingjay, including the pin, from the book, which is disappointing. Sure, there's violence in The Hunger Games. It isn't glorified violence. That's a gain. In fact, it makes very strong arguments for compassion, community and teaching why violence and inequity is wrong. If you are watching the 6 o'clock news with your chilld in the room? They can read The Hunger Games and get a different message around "violence" than what we are regularly shilling on TV.

My daughter is now 25 years old, still a voracious reader, as well as a published writer, and breaking into screenwriting with finished works that she'll be shopping around Hollywood. She's never needed to "hide" books. As a result, literature and writing became a love, a passion, a college major and now a job and entrepreneurial path.

What path will the precious little snowflake that DARED *gasp* to hide a- a- BOOK be on? (C'mon, really?) What I would tell this mother to do is read the trilogy herself. Discuss it with her child. It makes me wonder what literature she's been reading lately? I'd ask, "So, what book is in your backpack, on your Kindle, on your nightstand?" and wait for the answer to be, "Oh, I'm too busy to read." (Typical answer by people who complain about what their children are reading.)

OK. Yes, I am done now. Cheers!

4. I find that I only notice chapters if they're very short or very long. Very short ones are jarring and make me feel like the story is jumping around too much. Usually, a writer who does these has longer chapters as well, with these super short ones tossed in between here and there. Super long chapters I only tend to notice when I need to stop reading, but want to "get to the end of the chapter" and it just never seems to show up

5. Please allow me to go ahead and answer those who want so much to ask the BIG QUESTION............"WHAT HAPPENS IF MARCH COMES AND WE ARE STILL HERE?" ANSWER: The same thing that happens when the other possibilities come and go......we continue to watch and look at each scriptural possibility one at a time until He comes, or until we die watching for Him.....

This is research, not hocus pocus. We study each possibility one at a time. If they pass, we look at the next one, and the next one, and the next one UNTIL He comes and we are looking at the right one.

It's funny how religion convinces people that it's disrespecting God to ask questions, to verify the scriptures, and PROVE they've got the truth. It's NOT disrespectful to ask questions of the REAL GOD. He wants us to ask questions - He wants us to watch. Actually He COMMANDS us to watch.

Mark 13:37 And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.

Jesus commands us to watch, and if you are complaining about those who are watching - it shows me you're not.

WATCH FOR HIM!!! It's a command, not a suggestion.

6. Yesterdays conversation with two of my littles as they were playing with the Pet Shop animals.
My monkey is having a baby.
She doesn't have a big tummy.
Did you know when you have a baby, you poop it out?
No you don't.
Yes you do. You make a noise and you poop it out.
Well, the next time I poop I am going to look at it and see if it has eyes.

7. I truly believe that the only TRUE born again believers are the ones who love Jews and Israel. I'll probably get blasted for saying that, but I believe it to the core of my being.

8. Hey ya know, I know that our last couple of winters have been FAIRLY mild. But seriously. Have ya'll never driven in snow before? Use some COMMON SENSE. Take it slow, leave EARLY so you have plenty of time so you don't have to rush. And seriously, there is NO HURRY to get where you are going, because you would rather MAKE IT THERE ALIVE, than crash. Just chill out people. CALM THE FLAKE DOWN!

9. Almost done with our studies of the theory of evolution. I am so glad we were able to study this and learn the facts of *all* sides. I didn't learn this stuff in school. I know what I believe and my faith is strong, but I'm also a thinking person. I want to know *why* I believe what I believe. There is one main reason, and for me it is *the* absolute reason, however, for people who do not have my faith and worldview, this reason is null to them, and I get that. This book was the least biased, most scientific book I have ever seen on the subject. I don't know what the author believes as far as his faith, or if he even has faith of any kind. That didn't come into play. Did you know it is possible to understand fully (and reject) evolution on a purely scientific basis? I am glad that now, my kids and I are equipped to have intelligent dialogue on this subject, even with those who do not believe in Christ. The argument "because God said so," doesn't have any meaning for a person who doesn't believe. At the same time, this dialogue brings up many questions, then, that begs an answer. And searching for truth is never a bad thing. Christians have absolutely *nothing* to be afraid of in the study of science. There is only gain.

10. A question for my fitness friends: Is doing the hula on my balance ball at work today pointless when I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper?

11. THIS! IS! PROTOCULTURE!

12. This issue [Marvel Comics' X-Men #96] had its good moments, especially the Storm flashbacks, and the Cyclops brooding, but essentially featured a bug-eyed monster reminiscent of cornier episodes of 'The Outer Limits.' Chris Claremont, as typifying his Sagittarius nature [wait a second, I'm a Sagittarius! -- me], had a special fondness for ancient demon types. As an X-MEN reader and fan from #1, I had never thought such an adversary appropriate for the group, and still don't today (I say with the crankiness that comes with rapidly advancing time).

13. today?....why did my timeline dissappear"...i liked a few of the comments, perhaps its because of the new year?,,,or the silly updates?...or my lack of posting anything worthwhile recently....maybe youtube is mad at me for linking music videos here,,,,who knows? who cares?...im not on facebook enough to make it matter anyhow.....however i do stop in here from time to time to remove the stupid {tags} that folks {unknown} tag me in ....go figure,,,some people have just too much free time on their hands...thanks eveloution for the cell phone .and easy access to social media sites. that most common users havent a clue on how to navagate
anyway. LOLOL
perhaps if facebook

14. I want to hear while I'm still alive that I made a difference to somebody.

15. LMBO!! God sure has a sense of humor!

I have been waiting for information I need to take with me to an appointment I have tomorrow morning. I'm sitting here PISSED OFF, about to call and cut somebody because I need the information LIKE NOW!! Then, my phone rings. It's the people I have the appointment with calling to reschedule because THEY are not ready!!

16. Time for a marvelous Monday!!! May it be filled with mischief, madness, and monosyllabic things like love, joy, peace and hope.

17. It can help to remember that children don’t want to make our already stressful life more difficult for us, they simply can’t manage uncomfortable feelings and hence often can't manage their tasks and chores without our emotional support.

If all they need is the information; what to do, what not to do, why to do it or not do it, then things can move forward, but when they dig their heels in, it's usually because they need connection and emotional support; perhaps warmth, listening, understanding, reflecting their perspective, genuine show of interest in their world, affection, empathy.

Yes it's a lot of work, but without coming back to the connection when needed, they get stuck and everything can take 10 or 100 times a long to complete! ~ Genevieve

18. Da er vesla hatt noen timer feberfri og skal snart sove søtt

Then the little girl had some hours fever free and will soon be sleeping sweetly:)

19. You should have water first, THEN coffee. That's what my doctor told me. The one who died at the age of 47.

So you had two, I had three, but hockey was up there --

20. "You live up to your reputation!"

She seemed a little disappointed lol!

21. Since what happens is centered in the middle east, we have remained relatively insulated from the seals - thank you Lord....., so insulated in fact that I haven't even known they were happening.

22. So I guess today I ruined someone's life! At least that's what he said. Apparently this gentleman did not get his W2 because it had a bad address. I'm still trying to figure out how this is my fault, and how this is a life altering situation.

23. Dear Office Chair, I am short. That's all there is to it. You can't keep dropping me down an inch or two every couple of minutes while I am sitting in you....I look like three year old sitting at the adult table without a booster seat. Although the little drop every once in a while scares me and gets my heart racing, I don't feel that it is necessary! Much love, [the short person who posted this].

24. hiee all. today on my mind is an apoligy for not chatting as much as usual with all of you nice people that have added me , as many of you know . im a pc tech for a living and this IS my busy time of year..plus ive been spending a lot of my free time in my studio trying to record some new songs that ive written ,,,as they say {theirs just not enough hours in a day}.....im sure you all know what im talkin about , my music buds naturally know exactly what im talking about ...trying to record snips and pieces at 4am doesnt really cut the mustard...or even lick the jar. LOL...at any rate. i'll be posting the stuff that ive written very very soon , please hang with me ..XOXOXO!!!!!!

25. True friends always stand by you,
Whether in old or new
On this day of love,
Just want to wish you
Happy Valentine's Day!

26. Cute, but transfiguration is a bit different.
Make sure the disciples come down off that mountain.

27. Marvel in the 70s was willing to take big chances and explore many ideas and genres. Today it's all about profitability over creativity.

28. Lol. And I will just keep restating all of David's posts I guess.

29. Why being involved in educational pursuits is funny:
Student: Tchaikovsky liked to use cannons in his music. He's the Michael Bay of classical Music.
(sent from a friend. That's pretty epic actually. I dig it.)
BWAHAHAHA If he liked lens flares he could also be the JJ Abrams. *SNICKERS*

  


 

Comments

Popular Posts