Ensign: For We Are Many



All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye.            Isaiah 18:3
 
AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                                                    27 February 2015
 
Never write a devotion when you're angry. If I had started into this after I got home from one of my jobs Saturday afternoon, it very likely would have been what jerks some people can be! But as this week progressed and I realized that I've got a daughter who turns nine tomorrow -- half the age to legal adulthood -- and a son who will be eight at the beginning of July, I realize that I've got a lot of character to mold and I need to let the Holy Spirit guide me in what I do and say ... more than I do.

And when [Jesus] was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains: (2-3)

For we are many. Had I not come across Mark 5 (you know, the number five is popping up a lot in my life lately, but that's for another day) today's message would be titled something along the lines of "Why I'm Thankful For Traffic Tickets". Yes, that's more than one. Because it occurs to me that besides respecting authority as we're called to do as followers of Jesus the Christ in all our doings, the fact they CAN attend to things like that and aren't constantly chasing down criminals and busting meth labs and exposing prostitution rings -- don't get me wrong, there is crime where I live, but we're not in my estimation even close to some parts of this country and many parts of the world.

Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any tame him. And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones. (4-5)

For we are many. When I was reading this passage which I quote here beginning with Mark 5:2, I could not help but see this guy who's going to call himself Legion as me. NO, I am not suicidal, but there are moments when it feels as though our lives are going nowhere and we want to let immediate fear (what I see as wanting to take your, or give up control of, your life) win out over eternal fear. And with all due respect, I DON'T see how someone who chose to die gets to join in eternal life with God in heaven.

But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshiped him, And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not. (6-7)

For we are many. Yes, even demons believe -- demons KNOW -- that Jesus is the Son of God. (See James 2:19.) But that doesn't keep them from being demons; that's the choice they made. Note that we're not told anything about this man's life before demons dwelt inside him, but if it takes this many (wait for it) to hold him down or make him strong enough to breaks chains and rip fetters, feats of strength normal human beings can't accomplish, it's looking as though he fell from a really high point in his life.

For [Jesus] said unto him, Come out of the man, unclean spirit. And he asked him, What thy name? And he answered, My name Legion: for we are many. (8-9)

For we are many. Those of us who know the rest of the story know Jesus cast the demons out into the pigs as they requested (about 2,000 pigs!), and the demon-possessed pigs run into the sea and the swineherds astounded by what they see -- this demon-possessed violent man now in verse fifteen "sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind:" -- are practically begging Jesus to go away! How many of us do that? How many of us get more concerned about what we have than who we can help?

And when [Jesus] was come into the ship, he that had been possessed with the devil prayed him that he might be with him. (18)

For we are many. When you and I are grateful, truly and selflessly grateful, we are not going to back down an inch! I imagine Jesus could have asked the once-possessed man (hereafter referred to as the once-Legion) to do ANYTHING and he would have done it, never mind the cost, never mind the consequences! But what does Jesus ask? Not to physically come with Him and His disciples back across the Sea of Galilee, but to stay and show others what God had done for him and tell how he used Jesus to do it!

Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee. (19)

"But wait a minute, Jesus IS God, isn't He?" That is no contradiction; even Jesus prayed and modeled for us how to pray, even Jesus while on Earth needed to ask God for His will to be done, even Jesus had to grow up like we all (hopefully) have done and continue to do. Jesus knew that the once-Legion's friends would recognize the change in him; perhaps they wouldn't believe that the Lord healed him (maybe the demons got sick and left) but all we can do is tell our story. For we are many.

And [the once-Legion] departed, and began to publish in Decapolis how great things Jesus had done for him: and all did marvel. (20) 

For I am one, and not many. That is not going to stop me from walking free in Christ, even if to the rest of the world I look bound in chains (and probably sometimes ought to be), even if I have demons all around me looking for -- and sometimes finding -- a way in. The key is they're not going to stay. I am not going to give them a foothold, and none of us need to. The Lord having compassion enough to want us demon-free and filled up again with Himself ... that is a story worth telling!

It all starts with one,

David

P. S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with you, and I hope it encourages you too. If I'm not or you want me to get lost, please let me know -- thank you!

Thank You, Lord, that we can come to You in praise and prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even the ones we don't know we have! Let us pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and around the world.

Thank You, Lord, for all of us in leadership and service here and abroad, as well as for opportunities we have and the promise of new life! I pray we all seek and have a blessed week. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts