19. Ensign: Some Healthy Advice For Fifty Years Plus





All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3


AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS 13 June 2014

Happy Anniversary, Boyd and Phyllis!
 

Today on Friday the thirteenth this couple in the church I attend has been married for fifty-six years. And they were married the same day of the week as week as well, on Friday the thirteenth 1958. This tidbit came up Sunday when after church we held a party for another couple who had celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary last Friday (so that couple's been married since 1964), and the husband of the group wanted to share some advice he had about keeping married that long.
 

God knows I need that, as to be married long enough to celebrate our golden anniversary Martha and I will have to remain married to each other until July 12 2053. The first piece of advice? Keep breathing. Yes, I can see how that inhaling oxygen - exhaling carbon dioxide thing might help. Even though I know barring Jesus' return during my life that I will die of the same thing everyone else does (I'll STOP breathing), it behooves me to keep in shape and live as well – healthy – as I can.
 

Live, that is, in a way that doesn't contravene the will of God for my life – and some days I will admit that is easier to discern than others. Even Jesus said that He came that we may live life (John 10:10, but read the whole passage); but not only the mere physical process of living, but also that we may have a more abundant life. When I first accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, I was thirteen years old in my parents' bedroom, and my initial reason was because I didn't want to go to hell when I died.


Self-preservation, as it were. Then become a member of Jesus' family became my answer to what is my purpose in life; why am I here other than to
be here? But back to my subject today; the second piece of advice the fifty-year-celebrating groom gave us Sunday was that the man (the husband) ought to have the final words in any conversation he and his wife have. And those words ought to be … wait for it … Yes, Dear.
 

After ten years of marriage, I've actually got the “yes” down – usually because I'm biting my tongue to not offer a justification for why I did what I did, for no matter what reason I offer it will be less that satisfactory. And no doubt you realize after reading my missives, Ensigns or otherwise, for years, I'm a much better writer than I am a speaker. We need to be willing to admit when we're wrong (and I ... mostly do), when we've sinned, and come forward for God's grace. Then we can move forward!
 

For more that fifty, fifty-six, or even a thousand years, 
    

David
 
 
 
P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with all of you in my address book, and I hope to be an encourager to action too! If you find that I'm not or you want me to get lost, just let me know -- thank you!
 
 
Thank You, Lord, that we can come to You in prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even when we don't know what they are. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and around the world.


Thank You, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service, both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life! I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week. Amen.





Comments

Popular Posts