Ensign: Quam Minimum Credula Postero




All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3
 


AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS 14 March 2014
 
 
Even if we’re not conversant in Latin, most of us know the meaning of the phrase “carpe diem”.  People often cite it as an injunction to live in the moment and not be overly worried about the future.  It translates roughly (like all translations) as “seize the day”.  The original phrase found in the Odes of 1st century BC poet Horace is part of a sentence.  Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.  “Seize the day, [and] put no trust in tomorrow!”
 
 
It becomes easy for us to think that there is no rush to live in our witness for God – in fact, out of context you could make the argument from Scripture that NOT doing so will postpone the rapture and Jesus’ second coming indefinitely.  The fact that one criterion is the entire world will hear (not “receive” in the sense of “receive Jesus as Savior and Lord”) the Gospel before He returns (an outgrowth of the Great Commission, Matthew 28:19-20) doesn’t preclude our responsibility as followers of Jesus Christ to preach – and you don’t have be a preacher to do this! – the word of God in season and out of season.  (2 Timothy 4:2)

 
You and I don’t know if tomorrow comes for either of us.  I personally would not want to know; beyond being convinced that I won’t die or be caught up (what “rapture” means, itself a Latin translation of the verb in 1 Thessalonians 4:17) before what I am able or God’s called me to do is finished or in process, how long I live is not a big issue with me.  It’s what I do with the time I have – and there is less of it every day – that counts for me.  And for you, I expect.  We who truly know the value of time and the blessing of our Lord put no trust in tomorrow either.
 
 
 
Sincerely yours,
 


David
 


P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with all of you in my address book, and I hope to be an encourager to action too! If you find that I'm not or you want me to get lost, just let me know -- thank you!
 


Thank You, Lord, that we can come to you in prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even when we don't know what they are. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and around the world.
 


Thank You, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service, both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You. I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts