I Thought It Was Mosquito.




[Regarding the graphic I chose to illustrate today's entry – I was surprised I found it! Apparently there was some concern a while ago that mosque should not be used to refer to a Muslim house of worship because the word itself is derived from the Spanish word for mosquito. But this is not true; please don't go behind my back saying I said it, because I will find out … – David]
 
 
For a little more detail on the whole mosque/mosquito brouhaha:






So to round out Sarah's fifteen minutes of Reading At Home this morning, after reading an assigned book about what astronauts do and need when they walk in space – titled “Space Walk”, aptly – she continued reading in If The World Were A Village (ISBN 1550747797) that places the various circumstances of our world's population in microcosm (hey, I used that word in a sentence!) in a village of 100 people. We were on the page about religions; she didn't get this word right until the very end, but what stuck in my head was when she read “... a muezzin leads prayers from the minaret of a mosque.” I helped her with the first two m words, but before I could say anything about the third she said “mosquito”. AND today's title. No disregard meant to Muslim houses of worship (though in my defense, I had never even heard of Islam until the sixth grade, 1983-84 for me), but it came out from Sarah so deadpan it was funny! And we all laughed good and loud.



Hey, she also called “pollution” on the air and water page “pollen”, and I know people with allergies who would be inclined to agree with her! Jeffrey and I finished the book he'd checked out from the library Monday, Simcha Whitehill's Pokėmon: Amazing Scenes in 3-D (ISBN 9780515417129) and I learned yesterday – as usual with thing I “learn”, it was Martha Jean who pointed it out to me – that Jeffrey in first grade only has to read at home 10 minutes, not the 15 minutes that Sarah in second grade does. I said (and say) so what; don't we want our children to see reading as something fun to do and something they want to do, not just a “school thing”? Sometimes our home environment DOES have to undo a lot of what our kids learn in school … namely that learning is excruciating. It's just not easy. And last night when Jeffrey was in his first Cub Scout den meeting in the basement of Bethany, he should have started to figure out when trying to pass a balloon with his elbows that truth.



Let's see … crashed – ah, like Starfox I prefer the word “joined” – a pre-birthday party for Pastor Gerald at Bethany this morning and had an awesome slice of carrot cake before work this morning … read the graphic novel adaptation of Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner (ISBN 9781594485473) … been putting up with this on-and-off-and-on rain today … and looking for filler for the rest of this paragraph. So much happened with posting yesterday's edition, which was supposed to be Monday's edition but Windows on my work computer bluescreened so many times I figured I was being told something and went with a post that to ME was ironic, but also something to think about. Tomorrow is school picture day and tonight I'll be picking up the kids from Allan and Lesa's house after work where they'll be getting at least a trim – so I hear, but that was this morning; I've found plans change by the minute here with this family!



Still, I won't swat anybody without cause.



David

Comments

Popular Posts