Hope In The Midst Of Reality



[Today's blog writing duties I turn over happily to Timothy V. Olson, who actually has his own blog (it's at www.pastortimhtlc.wordpress.com if you're interested). The lead pastor of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Ankeny, Iowa recently contributed a series of devotions to Christ In Our Home (ISBN 04122968) that I read in the mornings to get me focused, and I pray God-pleasing, for the day. He's also a great writer – some contributors aren't, or at least they aren't as memorable – and I wanted to share today's, titled "Comfortable complacency" but I thought the last line fit better for my post of it, with you.

May Pastor Timothy not mind as I'm giving him credit, David]





Alas for those who are at east in Zion, and for those who feel secure on Mount Samaria. ([ch.6] v.1)



Before the collapse of economy in 2008, most folks felt pretty good. Before the terrorist attacks of September 2001, most felt safe and secure. We thought such security would last forever, then it was stripped away by the realities of the world – realities we perhaps could have seen coming if we had not gotten so comfortable.



[The Old Testament prophet] Amos delivers a word of warning to the comfortable and complacent people of Israel when destruction is on the horizon. Soon, their comfort and security would be replaced by forced exile at the hands of their conquerors [the Assyrians – have I mentioned how I love Olson's grasp of history?]. Faith in God and vigilance likely would not have stopped the advancing army. However, it might have readied the people for suffering and given hope.



On the cross, our Lord [Jesus the Christ] showed us the world's cruelty; in the resurrection, he gave us the basis for hope. Because of this, we can see the world as it truly is and not be afraid. We need not live in denial and be surprised when we encounter brokenness. God grants us hope in the midst of reality.




Comments

Popular Posts