You Could Say It Was Love At First Cliff Jump!

You could, but Bethany Hamilton's fiancee' Adam who I'm quoting here as I heard that on the radio this morning might not take well to it. (Bethany's the woman whose arm got torn off by a shark, dramatized in the movie Soul Surfer.) And I needed a good title, for my house of ideas was just not percolating. For a while yesterday it wasn't either; I was having a hard time standing up due to a few internal issues. The weather changes here do that to a lot of people – where I live in North Dakota it's actually seventy degrees today with no snow on the ground and you actually CAN SEE GRASS growing! See, we're not always a frozen wasteland, regardless of what our coastal critics say.


It being bright and sunny out has really made and kept the kids excited! They get to ride their bikes after school, they get to go to the park with us – I walked while Sarah and Jeffrey rode to Oak Park Sunday afternoon, the day after their aunt Mary took Sarah and Jeffrey and three of their cousins to Roosevelt Park Zoo, which reopened after two years! We're also learning very quickly that it is sunscreen season (with some people to the point of mania, but that's my view) and since we don't plan to hide out this sprummer – really, being in the first few weeks of spring it hasn't been mild at all, in my view, it feels like summer – we'll get to work getting ourselves safe!


"41 And Interested In Becoming A Pastor? Earn Your Degree At A Christian College" Just read this sideline on Facebook for a seminary and it touched me a bit since I'm forty-one now. And when I was a kid I really did want to be a pastor when I grew up, one of many things I wanted to be. I still get asked about it every once in a while, but when word gets back to Martha she talks me down with something on the order of, "I just don't see myself as a pastor's wife." In the pulpit as the lesson reader ("lector" sounds pretentious, and four out of five have no idea what one is) and in Sunday School you really get the impression I know what I'm talking about, and most of the time I do.


Unless the person typing the verses the congregation reads off the video screen gets a verse wrong – in fact, leaves it out entirely! And it's an honest mistake when two verses in the same passage are IDENTICAL; Sunday morning at church our responsive reading, where I read one verse and the congregation reads the next and I read the next – Bible ping-pong for the uninitiated I guess – verses three and five of the sixty-seventh psalm read exactly the same! Check it out:


1 God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause his face to shine upon us; Selah.
2 That thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations.
3 Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee.
4 O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: for thou shalt judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth. Selah.
5 Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee.
6 Then shall the earth yield her increase; and God, even our own God, shall bless us.
7 God shall bless us; and all the ends of the earth shall fear him.


So I read verse five, the second time that line appears, and then I could have heard a pin drop because, I learned later, verse five was missing from the screen the congregation was reading from so they must have thought I'd read verse three again and gotten lost. But we got through it and even though I couldn't make out "Revelation 21:10, 22-22:5" as "Revelation chapter 21 verse 10, [then] verse 22 through chapter 22 verse 5" – I got tongue tied and after two attempts just called it Revelation … whatever! Pastor Gerald and I talked about that before Sunday school where I had six second graders and Breanna as my aide in our next to last lesson with Jesus healing the ten lepers; we had a good laugh about it.


Now back to the shredding (ask me if you wanna know), David
 

Comments

Popular Posts