Ensign: You Will Use Algebra In Real Life

All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3





AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS 24 May 2013



My newest book The Persian Trilogy (ISBN 9781489502254) came live on Amazon this past Wednesday. And it's not fiction; no, this fourth Bible study – and overall eleventh book published – that I've written that tells the story particular books of the Bible encompass, chapter by chapter. This particular one deals with the books of Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther, three books with their action primarily set or instigated under the reign of the Persian Empire (radiating roughly from modern-day Iran), but I've also written studies of Exodus, 2 Kings, and Acts.






I am so proud – but who wouldn't be of something they wrote coming to print? As I write that sentence I find myself thinking of the times I have been, and often gotten my fingers in gear on the keyboard before I thought of what I was saying and to whom I was saying it. Happened with one friend from my senior year in high school last weekend, when we engaged in enormous misunderstandings and I was struck from her friends list. And I am sorry about that.



I say this, and I know I'm guilty of saying or writing or being something (actually, a great many things) that I really should not have said or wrote or been. Surprised I say this? I doubt it; even if you reading this don't call an act of disobedience to God sin, an act of separation from fellowship with God (Romans 3:23, “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God”) that we required Jesus' death to bridge and we require God's forgiveness to restore (the Bible's full of texts on that), it's ingrained – am I spelling that right? – by the imperfection in us that we will fail, we will fall, and we will sin.



I have sinned. I will sin. And I used to be able to say “to err is human, to forgive divine” (from an essay by Alexander Pope, I didn't know that) with a straight face because I expected other people to make mistakes in their dealings with me, sinful and not – yes, it is possible to do something wrong and not sin, for I don't think there will be people in hell for jaywalking – yet the problem with that view is that it lowers my expectations and likewise limits God's use of me while I walk the earth.



But instead of using “I'm human” as an excuse, I should be using “I'm saved” as a reason to live for God. Read this on a Facebook post a few days ago, and it floored me. So much that I've rewritten what this Ensign was originally going to be about – the three great untruths that the God of Israel contravenes, people who say “I love you”, “I will never leave you” and the title above which I did not change ;) for He always will love You and He will never leave You (Deuteronomy 31:6,8; Joshua 1:5, Hebrews 13:5, and keep reading). But He waits for you and me to make the first move.



And there's got to be a real-life use for algebra (there is for studying God's Word),



David





P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with all of you in my address book, and I hope to be an encourager too! If you find that I’m not or you want me to get lost, just let me know, thank you!





We praise You, Lord, for this beautiful day You have given us! Please pray with me for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence and for physical and spiritual communities around our world.





Lord, we need Your strength to fight the natural disasters and human ills to ultimately treat the cause and not just the symptoms; until we who have power change, this world You have made us stewards of won’t either.





Thank You, Lord, for all those in leadership and service here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have been given as well as the promise of new life through Your Son. And may we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.













Comments

Popular Posts