Why Is Music Like An Icy Sidewalk? (Answer At The End Of This Blog)


Parallel parking. My dad spent three hours working with me when I was younger and even more impressionable than I am now at a large clear asphalt area of Whispering Pines' clubhouse and made sure not only that I mastered starting and stopping and changing gears, but also some of the more unlikely things I'd be asked on that driver's exam. And parallel parking is one thing you need space to practice. It came to mind as I was picking something up before work. That, and I miss my dad.

Yesterday I was in my car getting ready for work and realizing how my dad must have felt sometimes now that I'm a dad myself. It was my day to bring Sarah and Jeffrey to school and Jeffrey got into his class and I said “you are awesome” to him before I left to meet Sarah at her class. Two of Sarah's classmates rush out to give me hugs – wow, I made an impression the day I came to lunch! – and one tells me about his weekend at laser tag but then Sarah cries to me and says she forgot her socks.

Yesterday for Sarah's class was gym day, and I gave her socks when she was ready to change clothes and she threw them down the stairs and left them there, why I don't know. Before I brought her socks to the front office at Longfellow, I'd gotten in a good conversation before with Mr. Lunstad the head custodian there – I enjoyed that. And this morning when I had to run that errand before work and called to people in the store by name – four besides me – I imagine I left and some people wondered,

“Who the heck don't I know?” (For some context, Robbie and Carisa attend the same church as me, Beth who was working at Main Street Books that morning I had to recall her name, and Susan I met as she crossed the street with Starbucks coffee in her hands.) Well, my day is off to a good start for I'm glad to hear the news that my wife Martha has lost even more weight since starting with the Shaklee 180 Turnaround Kit – this morning after a month and a half she's down seventeen pounds!

And has lost three inches as well. For that matter, so have I; in fact, I've lost quite a bit of size and had to switch my wedding band from the ring finger to the middle finger of my left hand because it had gotten so loose! There's a lot going on today and I'm getting ready for it to change my life, or at least change how I'm approaching life as of late. And now to the answer to my riddle: Why is music like an icy sidewalk?

If you don't see sharp you'll be flat, David

Comments

Popular Posts