Can You Go?


Well, that hurt. Just because she turned seven last Thursday, Sarah thinks she's so all grown up that after I walk her to class and see her latest assignment for Dr. Seuss Week (the author of The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, and a plenitude of other children's books that you know stick in your heads as adults would have turned 109 last Saturday) in the hallway, she asks me the title question. But in a low voice, so as not to embarrass her dad too much. I know, I'm SO clingy …

But seriously, I don't mind that at all. Over this past year in fact, Sarah has gotten way stronger as a student and a girl and a person because she knew she had to be. When Jeffrey started kindergarten this past fall, the girl who'd run scared to her mom a few days during her time in kindergarten decided the very first day of school and told us that she'd be strong to show him the ropes. I am so proud of my kids, I truly am!

The whole family exercised this morning before breakfast – well, except for me. (I did after breakfast.) In conjunction with the Shaklee 180 Turnaround Kit my wife Martha is using (and as of this morning after one month two days on their smoothees, meal/snack bars, and teas for two meals and a snack a day she has lost fifteen pounds and two inches) there's also a series of about seventeen minutes of short exercises, “bursts”, that you get to preview before you do them, and mark off that you've done 'em.

Fun to watch everybody on that … it's also fun to be sharing this with others, people like you and I, especially as summer fast approacheth! Last night I got to call several people who entered a free gift drawing at our vendor booth a few weekends ago, and after greeting people who probably wouldn't remember me I tell them, “I'm sorry to tell you that you didn't win [what our free gift was]” and rarely does that not generate a laugh. It helps to lead into what the call is really about; sharing with people.

I'm getting better – or should I say getting less afraid – at it. And in the meantime I also look for good reads, and lately I've found some good ones. Star Wars and History (ISBN 9780470602003) edited by Nancy R. Reagin and Janice Liedl really does more than jump onto the bandwagon of Star Wars and … [pick a field of study], it adds to the corpus of established literature with eleven essays dealing with items from the wars themselves to politics, economics, and people.

Who'd have thought that the Death Star might be the ultimate extension of a nuclear weapon? I mean, I KNEW that there's so many historical parallels in
Star Wars or for that matter in any extensive work (kinda unavoidable as we're limited by the experience of one race) but the contemporary political situation of the early 1970s when the original movie was written? And practically anything in The Phantom Menace relating to our own world? I could go on and probably state it better …

http://mainstbooks.indiebound.com/

This month at our local independent bookstore Main Street Books is Customer Appreciation Month. With any purchase in the store during the month of March you can get a free proof copy that they've received (which obviously they can't sell because they
are proofs). I've been in there a bit, and one book that's due out in May, Trevor Pryce and Joel Naftali's An Army of Frogs (ISBN 9781419701726), was a fun read indeed! Frogs versus scorpions in an animal fantasy setting, check it out.

Are YOU ready to do a 180? David

Comments

Popular Posts