Ensign: David The Great And Powerful


All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3

AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS 8 March 2013

Three guesses what movie I really want to see that opens this weekend …

And even though I'm certainly not a wizard, nor is the title character of Oz The Great and Powerful (I never did understand how in The Wizard of Oz, this new film's sequel, a stage magician from Kansas managed to pull the wool over real – that is, magic-using that doesn't seem at first scientifically explainable – witches' eyes and do it so well for so long; perhaps we'll find out) but as a result of a great victory, he becomes who the people and other inhabitants of Oz need him to be.

“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8)

I understand that usually wizard, witch, enchanter, sorcerer, and other categories of magic-users are usually lumped into those who will go to hell after they die. But I'm not here to preach fire and brimstone today; I'm here – or at least I believe my God is using me – to make the impression that those who don't repent (in the literal sense of “turn away from”) of said magic will. There are other ways to be great and powerful, and too often I must admit I'm guilty of wanting so much that I neglect what's truly important.

... my dear child, I'm a very good man … Just a very bad wizard.” (The Wizard of Oz)

I admit, I am a little proud that I'm named for David from the Bible, a man after God's own heart. (And David was also my grandfather's, my father's father's name.) The shepherd boy who slew Goliath with a slingshot, the leader of a ragtag band of three hundred when he was forced to flee King Saul, composer of a substantial number of Psalms, the successor to Saul on the throne of Israel, oh he had flaws. And I guarantee you this letter today I could fill with them!

I'm looking for a great warrior.”
Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great.” (The Empire Strikes Back)

The point I want to make today is that being great and powerful in the eyes of people around you is ultimately a futile quest. We who define greatness by what we're able to compel others to do for us and what we have are missing the boat. (Come on, those of us who name Jesus as Lord and Savior are just, sometimes more, guilty of this!) We like to be powerful, we like to have authority. James and John two of the original twelve disciples of Jesus, were no more immune to this trap than we are!

“They said unto him, Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory.” (Mark 10:37)

Understandably, the other disciples were ticked. (More so maybe because they didn't think of asking Jesus first.) But did Jesus come out and tell them outright NO WAY? Well, yes; but He cushioned the blow with some “comforting” words that yes, they would drink from the same cup He drank from and be baptized the way He would be (in suffering; for this full passage, read on through Mark 10:45), but who'd sit at Jesus' right and left hands was not His choice but God His Father's.

“But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister: And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.” (10:43-44)

Serving's not fun. Serving's not always easy. Serving I personally think of sometimes in the sense of a tennis serve, “serving” a really irritating person through a window head first! But then my instinct for self-preservation kicks in and (I hope) my desire to model Jesus in all I'm doing and saying. In verse forty-five even Jesus says He's not immune to this standard for you and me and all of us. To TRULY be great and powerful, we have to be willing to not be the one on top. We have to wash one another's feet.

Gesundheit,

David

P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with all of you in my address book, and I hope to be an encourager to action too! If you find that I’m not or you want me to get lost, just let me know – thank you!

Thank You, Lord, that we can come to you in prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even when we don’t know what they are. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and around the world.

Thank You, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service, both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You. I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.



Comments

Popular Posts