Ensign: Brother Against Brother


All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3

AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS 1 February 2013

And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.

Football is normally not a big issue with me. (Incidentally, this was a big issue in Martha's writing me back online in 2000, that I was not a sports fan and said so. Though our son Jeffrey is now playing soccer, and he seems to like it.) But this year's Super Bowl on Sunday stands out NOT for the superb commercials you will see, NOT for the 49ers and the Ravens taking each other on in New Orleans (and watch, you know someone will come down on me for putting those teams in the wrong order), but for an interesting tidbit I heard a couple of weeks ago that's being bandied about: the coaches of the opposing teams are BROTHERS.

I bring this up and Matthew 10:21 which heads today's devotional text not because I think the brothers head coaching the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers will literally try to kill each other but due to Jesus emphasizing in this context – read verses sixteen through twenty-three for the full meaning – that to really, seriously, committedly (not a word, but it flows so work with me) follow Him requires us to be willing to shed our attachments to the people closest to us. In the passage he's talking about the persecutions we are not only likely but definitely going to have to deal with because we are willing to stand out.

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Considering that the devil first manifests himself in the form of a serpent in the Bible, I must admit I've often found Jesus' call in verse sixteen … almost seditious. Make no mistake, if we persist in standing for Jesus and accompany Him on His stated goal “to draw all men unto [Himself]” (John 12:32), we may be regarded as wise – even our enemies can concede intelligence and common sense to us – but we'll certainly not be regarded as harmless. For we who claim to follow Jesus as Savior and Lord are to those who don't pointing a finger in their collective face. And it's not that we even WANT to do it, it's that our audience has become so conditioned to think of Christians as bloodthirsty maniacs that to find one of us even attempting a civil conversation that doesn't scream “repent”, “God is awesome”, or “hallelujah” in every other sentence that we feel left without a choice.

But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.
Giving a testimony is not tough, but it's not easy either. Jesus referring in verse eighteen to us – I realize all my readers are not Christians here, but choir members quit the church too! – to what we'll say before governors and kings (and other leaders) about Him does not require a degree in apologetics or a power of elocution. It requires you being you and who our Lord and our God has made you, is making you, to be. And if you have to present this message to your brother … well, losing our attachment to anybody does not have to mean we lose them as well. I lost touch with family, brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews, where I was born for nineteen years not for religious reasons but you can still feel like you've missed out.

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
Don't know if I like the idea of people hating me for any reason. Though there are some – heck, there are a great many – who do, perhaps not me personally but the message that I have, the words of Jesus and what He's done for me. (For more on hatred and what it may drive you to do, see next week.) Shooting the messenger is not uncommon, but you and I have messages we couldn't fake if we wanted to. And we're saved if we have made the choice for Jesus and even if we don't endure to the end – verse twenty-two doesn't mean you'll lose your salvation, but you will miss out on a lot of blessing – we're STILL gonna be hated. So why not be hated for something right?

There's a storm coming in,

David

P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with all of you in my address book, and I hope to be an encourager to action too! If you find that I’m not or you want me to get lost, just let me know – thank you!

Thank You, Lord, that we can come to you in prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even when we don’t know what they are. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and around the world.

Thank You, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service, both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You. I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.



Comments

Popular Posts