Seven Days To Christmas, For Want Of A Half Inch Wrench


I suppose I should not bring up the name of the most (we found) substandard Internet service around (HughesNet. HUGHESNET.) that we did not have much of a choice but to use last year in our FEMA trailer because our local Internet service providers – ISPs for those of us “in the know” – would not service the trailer parks, but we finally got the box they insist we return their equipment in yesterday. Along with cards from my brother and a family friend in Oklahoma and a couple of those lovely envelopes with windows, but no worries …

So this morning after Martha brought the kids to school, I went out to our trailer to detach a part from our HughesNet satellite dish that if we don't send it back will cost us a hundred bucks. And HughesNet sent us everything we needed to detach it and even paid the postage for us to send the part back … everything but the half inch wrench that I needed to unscrew the bolts. Grumble grumble, so Martha or her dad will have to do that this evening after work – I would myself but I have another commitment that I promised myself I would do as much as anybody.

Now for part two of “Lunch Time”, the play I'm writing for Sunday school next rotation at Bethany Lutheran Church about Jesus feeding the multitudes with a little boy's lunch of five loaves of bread and two fishes (part one you can see on my December 11 blog) and I'll likely get “creative” between tomorrow when I plan to hand the play to Karn and January 6 when we – or at least the first Sunday school class I have – perform it. (Focal text: the sixth chapter of John.) So here we go, and have an awesome day!

Stay awesome, David

LUNCH TIME

JESUS PHILIP
ANDREW JONATHAN
MOM DAD
MARY, Jonathan's sister PETER

SCENE TWO.

JESUS is in center stage with PHILIP to his right and ANDREW to the end of stage left. Other puppets are on stage, but no one's using them, giving the viewer the impression of there being a crowd. Make sure JESUS stands out.)

JESUS (over the chaos of everyone trying to move in as MOM, DAD, JONATHAN, and MARY with their bag lunches try to get a good seat – down in front of the stage – but it's standing room only): And I do nothing that My Father in heaven does not bless. So should you all!

JONATHAN (snaps his fingers): Darn it, we got here just as Jesus got done! (Jonathan sulks.)

MARY (to JONATHAN): Bro, wait a minute. Jesus has done miracles before, maybe He's getting ready to do one.

JESUS doesn't leave, and He looks out from the stage and seems astonished by all the people around.

JESUS (to PHILIP, after looking around): It's lunchtime, let's feed them.

PHILIP (in astonishment): Feed them all, Jesus?

JESUS: Yes, why not?

PHILIP (stating the obvious as others gather around him): It would take six months of our money to buy enough for (emphasize) EVERYONE to eat here!
PETER: (to JESUS, he's standing with ANDREW): Yeah, and it's not like this is the best money-making gig to start with!

ANDREW (to PETER): Bro, wait a minute. (ANDREW points to JONATHAN seated in front of the stage, who's already approaching him.)

JONATHAN (carrying his lunch bag): Excuse me,

ANDREW (to JONATHAN): I'll be right there. (to PETER) Will you relax? I don't think Jesus really means feed all these (looks all around him) people … he means say the right words, and they'll get fed … (ANDREW's stuck trying to think of the right word)

PETER: Spiritually!

JONATHAN (to ANDREW as PHILIP is trying to calm everyone down, and JESUS does nothing): Excuse me, would this help?

JONATHAN holds his bag lunch out to ANDREW.

PETER (looks down at JONATHAN): A little boy's lunch?

ANDREW (looks into the bag) Five loaves of bread and two fish. Good protein.

PETER: But NOT so good for five thousand people … and more!

PETER looks to JESUS in almost-panic.

JESUS (raises his arms and says): That's enough. Everybody … sit … down.

After a minute, everybody … sits … down.

© David Alvin 2012

And I will have the last part of this finished tomorrow morning, I promise!


Comments

Popular Posts