Fourteen Days To Christmas, And It Is My Birthday!


Fourteen Days To Christmas, And It Is My Birthday!

I have gotten a lot of greetings so far as I write this beginning my forty-second path around the sun (because when you're one you've finished one orbit on Earth, and so on – people, I'm forty-one today) and I am truly sorry and ask your forgiveness that I can't respond to each one personally … but I still have a busy day ahead of me. In fact, maybe you can help me. I talked with Karn the Sunday School superintendent at my church this past Sunday and said I'd make it a point to get the play done for Parable Playhouse's next Sunday School rotation by the end of this week, beginning of next.

Our story's about Jesus feeding the multitudes (or the five thousand, or the twenty thousand depending on the source you use) with a little boy's lunch. I can get this done in a few hours, no sweat, and then re-tune it in the day or two ahead if I need to – after I've had my birthday dinner at Paradiso's as Martha, the kids, and I agreed before they all (yes, Sarah's still got a fever but she's active enough to make it through the day, unlike yesterday) left for school. I get my dinner free on my birthday, and “chips are free, dinner extra”, of course. Just got to start some thoughts percolating …

LUNCH TIME

JESUS PHILIP
ANDREW JONATHAN
MOM DAD
MARY, Jonathan's sister PETER

JONATHAN enters stage and meets his sister at center.

MARY is sitting down and looking at something on the “ground”.

JONATHAN (to MARY): Hey, sis, what are you doing?

MARY says nothing. JONATHAN leans in.

JONATHAN (to MARY): What is that?

JONATHAN leans in and MARY … socks him in the stomach, being a sister. He almost falls over but then stands to face MARY.

JONATHAN (to MARY, angry): Hey, you tricked me!

MARY sticks out her tongue to JONATHAN.

MARY: Hey, YOU fell for it, bro!

MARY and JOHN's mom calls from offstage.

MOM: Okay, kids, it's time to go.

MOM enters from stage right with two packed lunch bags, one for each of her kids, and sees JOHN and MARY fighting on the floor.

JOHN and MARY (pointing to each other): They started it!

DAD comes in from stage left, stern and serious.

DAD (with an edge of anger in his voice): And you don't want to make me finish it, do you?

JOHN and MARY look up to him.

JOHN (stutters this): N-n-no, dad.

MARY gently nods in agreement.

MOM (to DAD): Good idea. We want to get to the sea of Galilee [GAL-ih-lee] before it's too late.

MARY: Too late for what, Mom?

MOM (to MARY, JOHN, and DAD): Too late to see Jesus.

DAD: It may be too late to get a good seat, but we'll get a seat!

DAD hurries off stage left and MARY, JOHN, and MOM follow him.

MOM (by instinct, says): Don't forget your lunch!

All characters are off stage.

It's getting later for me than I expected (work where I type this has been busy today too) so I'll just leave this scene and get to more tinkering in a bit.

Stay awesome, David

© David Alvin 2012




Comments

Popular Posts