Five Days To Christmas, Code Blue


I AM SO THANKFUL to my wife Martha for agreeing to come with me to tonight's Blue Christmas service at our church, when I know she could be doing something else (bowling). I AM SO THANKFUL for my kids getting interested in their daily reading and geography too this morning – it all started with our son Jeffrey's question, “What's a pencil got to do with Pennsylvania?” And I was in teaching mode after breakfast.

You know me, I get up first and I had some Eggo pumpkin spice waffles, good stuff but I'm sorry it's a holiday special; in Florida where I grew up you could only get pumpkin spice around Halloween, and I guess for me that made it special, so way to go Kellogg's! I got out a National Geographic map I had of the world and Sarah our daughter (Jeffrey's sister) organized a game where we'd each identify a place with a particular letter of the alphabet.

Sarah chose Australia, me Alaska, Jeffrey Argentina

This is the third year our church has held a Blue Christmas service for those people who enter the Christmas season with a heavy heart due to loss of a loved one or other dire circumstance. In my case, though we're definitely thankful to be moved back into our flooded house (today in fact our handyman Mike asked if he could show someone our house because he wants to do theirs, and they got snowed by their last contractor so he'll do it for a great rate) this year's been marred for me by tragedy.

My mom Doris died in Kentucky the first Sunday of this month and my uncle (Mom's brother) Robert died in Florida soon before; I wasn't able to attend either funeral, but I still get to keep in touch with the family and they want to keep in touch with me, thank God! Over the last few years that has been a big concern of mine, seriously …

Sarah chose Brazil, Jeffrey chose Bolivia, I chose … actually, I don't remember what I chose
But we did get to the letter “G” before the kids had to leave for school – it was Martha's turn to drive them – and today's the Christmas party in Jeffrey's class, I would guess Sarah's as well even though she with her grandma yesterday got to make a gingerbread house in her class. Last night Martha got most of the Carol Choir's Christmas program “Aaron, The Allergic Shepherd” recorded on her cell phone and it just fit to see all this come together.

It will fit to see all this come together, David

Comments

Popular Posts