I Love The Language Fingerprints Too.





[I usually don't predict what you'll see here even one day from now, but it's a safe bet a 40-inch TV, Spring Break, and who wears the ruby slippers in the family will all have something to do with it!

So here you go, first half of my favorite posts and hearings from April 2016. Like Homer's Odyssey, go on until you find something you like. -- D.]

1. I love the language fingerprints

(heard this from one of my kids April 1, don't remember which one or the context, but I liked it enough to write it in my journal so I'll use it)

2. His countenance was a true picture of his soul.

(Candide, chapter I -- I reread Voltaire's novella/satire every year! - D.)

3. You know WHAT ... I'm going to TRY my BEST, NOT to respond to the negative things being said about ME to the world!!! I am HUMAN, so I feel the NEED to defend MYSELF, because it's ALL lies.... BUT since I KNOW WHAT IT IS .. THE REST OF Y'ALL BELIEVE WAT YOU WANT!!! I know I deserve BETTER, so that's what I'm going to focus on!!!! I REFUSE TO BE DISRESPECTED .... I'M A QUEEN!!!! I got REAL PROBLEMS, REAL RESPONSIBILITIES, and a lot of people depending on ME that I'm not willing to let down. I have to prioritize to progress, so I have NO time to feel sorry for MYSELF, or cry about how unfair my life is RIGHT NOW or the terrible unfair DIRTY NASTY way people have treated me ... AND I DAMN SURE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR DRAMA!!!! Miss ME with the WHOLE THING!!

4. I have gone through many stages of "me" some "good" and some "not so good" Lately ive been stuck in a slump.... a "lesser" version of myself that i am not satisfied with... a version that quiet frankly I can't wait to get rid of.

5. The son of an imam and his recently converted to islam fiance.
Max they can each get is 20 years and/or $250k fine. Hope they both.
Maybe they should be locked up with a copy of a Bible as well as the writings of other religions (excluding islam) and atheists authors.
The article details their communications and little plan.
Tell me again about the peaceful religion..Or how it is the poor, disenfranchised, uneducated that ISIS is luring away from our country.

6. fear and doubt are all implied by an outside source

(again, source unknown, but it made it into my journal April 2)

7. We are also to observe that upon our continent, this distemper is like religious controversy, confined to a particular spot. The Turks, the Indians, the Persians, ... know nothing of it; but there is a sufficient reason for believing that they will know it in their turn in a few centuries.

(Candide, chapter IV; Voltaire published this in 1759, how accurate do you think it is?)

8. Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. Totalitarian Government assaults hiding resistance movement

(From these six words, the challenge was to guess what book the poster was describing.

I guessed "Nineteen Eighty Four, They Live, or the Bible (seriously, think about it!)")

10. The sheets were rent, the masts broken, the vessel gaped. Work who would, no one heard, no one commanded.

(Candide, chapter V)

11. Every day is an adventure!

(My son Jeffrey on his way to school out the open door the morning of April 5!)

12. If you strike it down, in the theaters, it will become more powerful than you can ever imagine, in pay per view.

13. What better revenge is there than having it all?

(Hades to Zelena, Once Upon A Time, "Our Decay")

14. Everyone with a penis is capable of rape. Borders don't exist under patriarchy.

(By the way, I would welcome a translation of this. - D.)

15. My prayer will never overturn somebody else's free will.

(Joyce Meyer, heard 040615, 1215 hrs)

16. This is the WORST thing that can happen when you're mid-debate and it isn't on text. "Trust me, I had a point!", doesn't win you no favors, believe me.

17. One thing my grandmother always told me .... "You can't hide who you really are." She said ..."you will get comfortable and that's when YOU will show up."

18. Convo with my students:
Me: Our class picture is here!
Class: Yayyyy!
Me: I'll frame my copy & put it up, so everyone can see it- as I look at it, I of course, am my own worst critic... I think, Omgoodness, look at me! Motivation to drop a few pounds...(this is before they see the pic)
Class: (as they look at the pic)- Miss Slaughter, look at how beautiful you are in our picture! ...
Me: Awww, thanks babes- enough said (how did they know I was thinking about how I looked in the pic)
My day has been made

19. LOYALTY and RESPECT are EVERYTHING to ME!!! I've recently learned that I'm not interested in loyalty unless it is accompanied by RESPECT!!!

20. I had a review on Amazon that toasted my book, citing I made he "question her humanity ..." I thought dang, didn't know I was *that* powerful. Take it how it feels.

21. Does God care about creation? The answer of course is yes, in our time as in John's, though the image of that love is not one of power but of suffering.

(Gwen Gotsch, April 9, Christ In Our Home)

22. When one is a lover, jealous and whipped by the Inquisition, one stops at nothing.

(Candide, chapter IX)

23. Because daddies always keep their promises! That's what you taught me!

(Jeffrey said this to me on our way home April 9 from the 2nd anniversary celebration of a local business. He was working the guilt ...)

24. Thank you! Sibling bliss is a lie! it's all shenanigans and it's great

25. There is no time like the past to get things done.

(Robert A. Heinlein, The Door Into Summer)

26. Actors are many things, and one of those things is REPLACEABLE.

27. Why is it her responsibility to to address racial issues and such in her work? It's her story, as she envisioned it. It's not historically accurate, never claimed to be. It's BASED on that time period. She addresses the themes that fit her story world. As a black woman, I don't expect her to be the voice of belated outrage to history's mistakes. If she wants to make it colorblind or ideal, so what.

For the people complaining about, if you want the issue to be addressed, then write your own book or movie that addresses it.

28. Sometimes I wish I could take all my stressed energy, put it into a rocket ship, and send it to space.

29. I know this post stirred controversy (seen it do so other places). I'm sorry. It's wrong. The real problem, the big problem with Christian/Catholic rhetoric regarding sex is they treat it like it's bad, and it has a reverse effect; people wonder why it's so bad, they do it, they find out it's fucking wonderful, and THEN wonder why a loving God would deny them that without a laundry list of qualifications for it to be okay. Bottom line.

I'm actually writing a novel about a sexually active teen in a Catholic orphanage who gets caught, (in full blown intercourse) is whipped and shamed to fuck. As a believer, I felt really bad fishing for bible verses about shaming sinners, but now I don't. What's funny were the verses I read about correcting "gently, and in love". Why can't you do that instead of the fire and brimstone speech? I love God, but I hate doctrine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30. And why is it female masturbation? Why not ALL masturbation? Second red flag; sexism.

(same poster, two minutes later)

31. How temporal is transient sentiment.

(Amazing Fantastic Incredible, an illustrated autobiography of Stan Lee)

32. Here, for your viewing pleasure, are some photos I took last weekend of 'Lud's Church' in Staffordshire, England. This deep chasm, 100m long and 18m deep, was formed by an ancient landslide high up in the wooded hills of the White Peak. It has been conjectured that Lud's Church is in fact the 'Green Chapel' from the late 14th century poem 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'. The Middle English dialect of the poem's author indicates he was from this part of England and certain geographical references seem to match up with the topology of the area. So, perhaps once, between these stark stone walls, covered with iridescent moss and lichen, Sir Gawain cowered to receive the Green Knight's axe. Enjoy!

33. ????Yes, America, this is happening. This could be an example of something so stupid that it just might work.
If successful, it could spawn a whole series of other connected universes that totally don't make sense. What other seemingly different universes would make for a good crossover?
I admit, an MIB/Jump Street crossover caught me off guard. Not sure how I feel about it, especially knowing Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith probably won't be involved. Could be interesting, I suppose.

34. Facebook, founded on thievery and used to glorify the one and only living GOD. Now thats a big deal

35. I could go on and on here, but the bottom line is, you should all be ashamed of yourselves for not showering David Warner with praise at all times. Poor bastard’s the only guy on earth who can play major roles in every science fiction franchise, plus a bunch of other stuff, and still be a complete unknown. He should be a major celebrity, but instead he’s lucky if someone says "Hey, what else has that guy been in?"
Poor, poor David Warner

(from Steve Boshear's "Time Bandits and the Sorrow of David Warner", originally posted on "Death By Movies August 30, 2012 and quoted c. 1720 hrs)

36. Great to see another Liberal hypocrite celebrity exercising her "right" to withhold her services. Great to see her withholding her services in support of slavery. Great to see her objecting to the right of others to exercise their conscience while she exercises her own.
Forcing someone to perform a service against their will -- to be shackled body and soul -- because you believe it's your "right" to be served was called slavery at one time in our history.
Yet many Leftists ...apparently believe it's somehow moral and just in 2016 for LGBT's to force field-hand Christians to pick their cotton and bake their cakes in the name of equal rights and freedom.
Stand tall, Mississippi Legislature. You did the right thing precisely for the reasons LIberals are always paying lip service to -- i.e., the right to think and act according to your own understanding of morality.
37. "Hey Kate, how's it going?"
"Lousy. I think that I'm a character in a Nano story."
"Really? What makes you think that?"
...
"Because my life is all over the place. Old knee injury acting up, I hit my head...twice, then there's the anxiety attack, stress, a pop quiz, spilled coffee, a strained arm, and overall suckiness. I swear that author has no ideas."
"Could be just a bad day."
"But somecrimes I can't even spleak correctly."
"Wow. How hard did you hit your head?"
"Not that bad. Their typing or spelking muck suck."

38. Just when I thought I couldn't lose any more respect for Sarah Palin, when there was hardly any before. Once again, she does what Sarah Palin does best, spreads misinformation. This time it's about climate change, while attempting to belittle Bill Nye. Just to be clear, everyone, human induced climate change is real. Whether or not you accept the science, it's happening. Greenhouse gasses trap heat, that's a fact, if they didn't then we wouldn't be here. The question now is how to deal with and counteract the effects of climate change. These demagogues are carrying out their own political agenda while jeopardizing the future of humanity.

39. In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words than to have words without a heart.

John Bunyan (the author of Pilgrim's Progress)

40. Okay, my piece. Mainly because I'm kinda tired of seeing this plastered all over my news feed. Not going to say it specifically, figure it out for yourself, and if you disagree either do so respectfully and logically, or you may unfollow or unfriend me. :
Some things aren't easy to put in place. Not because one side or the other is "hated" but because evils exist no matter which side of the aisle you sit on. Not because YOU are evil, or what you do is evil, but because there are people that will abuse a particular protected status to do evil. Though we all have rights, we also have a responsibility to exercise those rights in a manner that protects against those that would abuse such rights.
Rant done. Speak your piece if you're so inclined, but remember to be respectful and civilized about it.
41. Doesn't expecting the unexpected mean
that the unexpected is actually expected?

42. I don't know if this is just me, or if it's because I am becoming more serious as a writer so the word of the month gets more annoying, but is anyone else seeing the word Fam being used lately (To mean family) and sort of being annoyed by it? If you are going to say Family, then why not just say the whole word, this is is being used in real life (And overused at that, as Family is meant to mean something)
The same with words such as bae or rekt or whatever word of the month that people decided to shortened. Anyone else finding this to be a bit annoying? Or am I just being way too picky about the words being used.

Comments

Popular Posts