Only Penguins And People Can Drive! And Other Ideas

[Welcome to my end of the month favorite status postings -- not of mine, and I've even included a few book quotations because I liked them! -- for July, with personal references unless they're reporters or widely known persons with references scrubbed. -- David]




1. Today, July 16th, 2015, nearly 23 years after starting college, will go down in history as the day I sent in my last student loan payment. I'd like to thank the Student Loan Financing Corporation, American Education Services, ACS, and Sallie May for making this moment possible.




2. True Christians are a holy nation—a people set apart from sin and hell to an intimate relationship with God. Originally Israel was God's holy nation, but by unbelief she forfeited that privilege. Now the church, which consists of both Jew and Gentile, is His unique people, and will remain so until the nation of Israel repents and receives her Messiah at His return (Zecheriah. 12:10).




Biblical holiness (sanctification) is often misunderstood, but it needn't be. When the Holy Spirit delivered you from the domain of darkness and transferred you into the kingdom of Christ, you became His special possession. That doesn't mean you're sinlessly perfect, but it does mean you're no longer a slave to sin, the devil, and death. That's positional sanctification. Practical sanctification is the decreasing frequency of sin and the increasing frequency of righteousness as you progress in your Christian walk.




Sanctification should not be confused with false standards of holiness, adopted by those who, like the Pharisees, attempt to be holy through external means; or, like the Stoics, have a passionless devotion to duty; or, like monks, isolate themselves from the world; or, like the quasi-Christian psychologists, replace sanctification with introspection, self-analysis, and improvement of one's self-image.




True holiness begins with a love for Christ Himself. That's what compels you toward greater sanctification. Peter said that you were "chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, that you may obey Jesus Christ" (1 Pet. 1:1-2). Christ Himself became to you "wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption" (1 Cor. 1:30). In Him you were saved, which is the beginning of sanctification, and in Him you have every resource necessary for progressing in holiness.




3. Smile :) is the best way
To face the problem
To crush the fear
To hide the pains.


4. A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.


Mostly Harmless



5. It is harder than ever to see the bigger canvas and thus find fresh perspectives. We view current events as puny river of Tweets, not grand chapters in the ultimate story -- history.




(Dick Meyer, from his July 21 column "Mr. President, on behalf of an ungrateful nation, thank you")





 

6. It's so sad. Half of them are gone.



The show [Star Trek: The Original Series, original broadcast dates 1966-1969] was truly amazing: ahead of it's time, well written and well acted. I'm amazed at how, even in the first season, there were many gems, few duds. Comparing this to any other Trek, or any other TV series period, they got their act together fast, learned their characters - both the actor and the writers - and put together quality TV on a shoestring budget. Yes, there were many shenanigans in the background, many egos, many issues, but what made it to the screen was quality. It also came in an era when there were few channels, and so it was far easier for it to become pop-culture, rather than being relegated to specialty sci-fi channels watched only by a few people. Even if you're not a sci-fi buff, you knew these characters, and the actors who portrayed them.



I don't think we shall see their like again, and it's sad to see the actors go, one by one.



7. hi folks please excuse anything that comes up on your feed from me I was writing and I don't know if I got a serge or what but the computer kept wriitng and I was not touching it!






8. Everyone is bigger on the inside. Most people just fail to realize it.






9. These onion rings are eaten for my friends and family lol






10. There is a youth conference going on at the Ocean Center in Daytona this week with about 1500 teens in attendance. Hundreds of these youth were on the beach this afternoon as I walked. That gave me the opportunity to ask several of them what God was doing this week. One told me that several had come to faith in Jesus. Most told me of various changes He was making in their lives, one told me this. "God has challenged me to make sure my words and actions match who I say I am a...s a Christ Follower." I love it! I have heard this challenge expressed a number of times in the last week. The thing is, only when our words and actions match who we say we are as a Christ Follower do we have the credibility to share with those we come in contact with regularly what God has for them. Praising the Lord for what He is doing in the lives of these young people this week.





11. If I was Captain Jean Luke Picard, this is the point in my day Where I would say "Number 1, shields up!" Then I would follow up with "Activate the cloaking device". Sometimes, we need to just fade into the background and exit the stage to the left. Cray-Cray is not a color that looks good on me. So please, if y'all ever plan on being transported into my ship..... take your "Drama-mine". Otherwise, the "Annular Confinement Beam" might just transport your head while leaving your body. Wouldn't be any fault of mine! More than likely it will stem from mass amounts of Bilitrium intermingling with antimatter. Definitely an oversight by engineering





12. Only penguins and people can drive!





Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted





13. So I have Benign Positional Vertigo. And it sucks I can't do anything without falling over and feeling drunk. And I DON'T drink.



14. Must be awesome to share the faith there [in Israel, where the person this person posted to was visiting]....to let them know in person that Americans DO care...and havent completely lost our minds /faith







15. There is language in this post. Be warned.


Let's start by establishing the fact that I am NOT against hunting at all (and unless you're a vegan, you can't say you are, either). But, let's think about this and put things into perspective. For shits and giggles, I'm going to explain my views on hunting to you fine folks the same way I explained it to my young boys.


1) Don't shoot anything unless it's trying to eat you or you're trying to eat it. Period. That means no shooting at birds in the sky because you think they're going to ruin your yard, don't shoot at squirrels in the trees because they're all over the place and you think you're "thinning" them out. If it's not trying to eat you and you're not trying to eat it, just don't freakin' shoot it! Karma will kick your ass if you do. Trust me on that one.


2) Hunting animals for sport just so you can say you did it (and this goes right along with rule #1) is a pastime reserved for pansy assed mama's boys who need a trophy to feel good about themselves. Over compensating? Maybe so...


3) Because it needs a repeat-- DO NOT SHOOT ANYTHING UNLESS IT'S TRYING TO EAT YOU, OR YOU'RE TRYING TO EAT IT.


**Also, if you do kill an animal with the intent to eat it (or freeze it and eat it later), remember to be thankful and grateful. Boasting makes you look like a shit. **






16. Divert me, distract me, modify me, deflect me, totally interfere with my life and wreck my plans, Lord, until my life looks like yours!



17. Have you ever wondered or at least been curious about a homeless person's past? I mean, what did they do before homelessness? What kind of family did they come from? What drove them to homelessness? Choice? Circumstance? Hard luck? Mental Illness? I have a heart for these people. Driving through Downtown Seattle nearly everyday, I am amazed at all of the tent cities and people who actually sleep on the street. Homelessness exists. It's easy to forget it when we're tucked away... in our warm and comfy homes. I know some of it is a choice ---- and I am careful about giving money or things away, but some people reach a point to where they can no longer help themselves. We can point fingers and judge them and tell them to just "get a job", but it's really not that easy when the person you used to be is the person you no longer are.


This guy has some talent and at least SOME exposure to life outside of homelessness ---- that is obvious.


I just makes me think. That's all. And wonder.






18. Forgive me Lord for my ' worry tendencies '. I know that is not what you would have us do.











19. People wonder why you are skeptical of them it's because trust was broken and as a result you got a broken heart out of the situation. A broken heart is hard to mend but gaining trust again is even harder. You want to do what your heart tells you but at the same time you safe guard your heart by not letting your feelings over ride you and possibly leading you down a lonely road that you just left behind you, no one wants to repeat the past hurt and in life we all want to trust that one person, but the question is have they given us a solid reason to trust them again ???? ( Just venting over here!)








20. "Uneducated men are pitiless, / But we who are educated pity much. And we pay / A high price for being intelligent. Wisdom hurts." Euripides, 'Electra'
















Comments

Popular Posts