From Peter To Sage ...

Yesterday at church brought to mind today's title -- it's the last day for a while that we'll hear Peter who just graduated high school here in Minot play his tenor saxophone, which was our special music at worship yesterday! Peter leaves this week for band camp and afterward he'll be starting at Luther College for the fall. He says he'll be back in town for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and if anything like me during my college years, that'll work for a few years; but as Peter's leaving, we had two-year-old Sage baptized yesterday by Pastor Janet. At first I did a double take thinking Sage was a really big four-month old, but then I read in the bulletin that he was born in 2013, so he's two. Wow, I remember the ten seconds or so when Sarah and Jeffrey were two ...


Yesterday (when all my troubles really weren't so far away) the family and I also spent the lion's share of it getting our van ready for a trip we're taking next week, first stopping at a do-it-yourself car wash to soap, rinse, and scrub down the van. I don't think anybody but me had ever been to such a place -- I remember a smaller version of it from Florida -- so it was fun to watch them do it. Seriously, Jeffrey got hold of that long sprayer gun, Sarah got the extendable brush, and Martha got some rags to wipe it down. Other than getting the change for the car wash (three dollars in quarters for five minutes) I pretty much had to stand back because the rest of the clan was taking over. I won't fight that ...


But there were some spots we couldn't quite get clean, so we took the van over to the professionals over at Simonson's on Broadway and the next time we got out we practically didn't recognize the van! The next time we got out was for lunch at Broadway Bean and Bagel where everybody but me enjoyed a parmesan bagel with cream cheese; I chose the tomato dill soup and OH that was rich. The bowl they served it in was designed at a forty-five degree angle so eating from it with a spoon was awkward -- after it had cooled enough I drank it, and as I write this I think of Violet Beauregarde's description of the tomato soup she had as she was chewing Willy Wonka's chewing-gum meal; then I recall how tired I'd get of chewing-gum meals after a few days of them ...


So after lunch (oh wait, it was before lunch, we headed over to Tires Plus to get an oil change and oil filter we desperately needed and THEN ate so we wouldn't impulse buy when we were picking up groceries for our trip next week) Martha who had wanted a haircut for some time chose to get one at MasterCuts in Dakota Square Mall -- it wasn't our first choice due to the price, not because of the haircut, but we could find no other barber or stylist open Sunday. But Joanne did a fantastic job with her cut and Jeffrey's, who kept saying throughout his time in the chair that girls wouldn't be able to run their singers through his hair any more and he'd be relieved! Joanne liked him and wondered if he could stay to help her out, and I seriously considered it ... I'd have to pick him up by six!


But no, after my wife and son's haircuts we went to Target to pick up some essentials that we will not open until we are on or down the road next week, then headed home for a bit, where Milton her significant Margaret the kids' aunt met us at our house to bring Jeffrey (Sarah didn't want to go)  up with Josceline to Lewis and Clark Elementary School's playground to play for a while, and then she called us and treated us to ice cream at Dairy Queen! It took some arm twisting (yeah right) but we met them there and everybody but me had Blizzards, I was in a Peanut Buster Parfait mood! Then we went to Marketplace on North Hill to pick up a few more things as well as put in that pesky gasoline without which motor vehicles don't often go ... and we danced on the store floor. Really.


I've got more to say, but right now I just want to step back.


Good idea one or two times of day, David



Comments

Popular Posts