Merry Christmas!




Ok, as I write this it's the day after Christmas, but just as my family's big celebration – by which I mean Martha's family in the area where I live, which I as much admitted at Saturday's Blue Christmas service I have pretty much been welcomed into (with my own parents gone, though I've still got brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews throughout the country), so they are my close family now – began, oh, the afternoon of Christmas Eve, I'm willing to stretch ours into today, the technical first day of Christmas from the Christmas carol “The Twelve Days of Christmas”. So we'll go with that. I think our kids Sarah and Jeffrey actually did get surprised and excited and all they would be once they woke up. They especially love playing on the Wiis they got of their very own …

Though when Sarah noticed price tags on some of the stocking stuffers and presents under our house Christmas tree on Christmas morning she offered a ready explanation: Santa doesn't make all the toys himself, he has to buy some too! Our BIG gift exchange was at our house Tuesday night after the five pm Christmas Eve service at Bethany with about two hundred people there, then fourteen were at our house – Martha's parents Robert and Sharon, her oldest sister Malesa with her three boys Mathew, Brandon, and Trevor, sister #2 Mary, sister #3 Margaret with her daughters Breanna and Josceline, our family friend Donovan, and the four residents of the house (Martha, Sarah, Jeffrey, and I). Wait a sec, that's
fifteen people (we couldn't agree on the count with two people missing, one ill at home and one out of town who are normally there); anyway, we did great!Go see the movie
Saving Mr. Banks, and you will never view Mary Poppins the same way again. And that's good; for Christmas after attending Christmas Day worship and spending a few hours at Robert and Sharon's house for a Christmas Day lunch of turkey and hamburger stuffing with accompanying veggies and desserts (Christmas Eve dinner was ham and sausage stuffing, again, with accompanying veggies and desserts), Martha, the kids, Mary, and I took advantage of our annual tradition to see a movie at our local Carmike cinema … and this was amazing! I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen the movie yet, but I don't think I can say anything that WOULD spoil it for you – I mean, Disney does make a Mary Poppins movie – but this could have gone south and gone cute in so many ways, but it doesn't. It's excellent.



And of course Sarah and Jeffrey have their Elves on the Shelf, David

Comments

Popular Posts