I Too Was Born With A Reading List I Will Never Finish



Let's see … it's been a busy past several days. Starting from Tuesday night – my last journal entry here was written then, and I chose to post my normal Friday-appearing Ensign on Wednesday which was my birthday – after I'd left work where I was inspired by some Facebook photos I'd seen to make some Christmas trees out of books (really, I keep a lot in the office) I got to see Sarah and all the second graders at Longfellow sing and perform a musical based on “The Nutcracker Suite”, and they all did a great job!



“A Chinese man then led the way, as two young women turned our way.” That was Sarah's one line in the performance, and though she was so nervous about it she did GREAT, we are all so proud of her! Wednesday was my birthday, but due to Martha's cantata and the kids' Sunday School musical program practice we couldn't go out to celebrate as we usually do. We saved that time for Thursday, enjoying a meal at our local Ruby Tuesday's … alas, after I had to get a ride home early to a brief hospital visit. Please let my meds not be causing me to go too crazy.



Now to tell you about some books from that reading list of mine (by the way, today's title was suggested to me by a Berfrois post), and when you need a good laugh, pretty much ANYTHING from Monty Python's Flying Circus works for me! The second volume of The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus – All The Words (ISBN 067926489) I will concede loses something in reading the scripts as opposed to watching the sketches themselves – what I did on Saturday nights, but I'd still laugh like crazy at them! The Argument Clinic alone is worth it, it says so much about life!



And two looks at Sir Gawain, a knight of King Arthur's (don't worry, I'll probably detail them later). Sir Gawain and the Green Knight which I just finished last night, edited and translated by James Winny (ISBN 0921149921) of the fourteenth century poem, where the title knight cuts off the head of a man in green armor to cut off his head provided the Round Table knight agrees to have his own head cut off in a year and a day's time. This turns out to be a test of Gawain's own virtue as he goes to find the Green Knight, and will he keep his word.



DC Comics' Camelot 3000 (ISBN 9781401240363) by Mike W. Barr and Brian Bolland reincarnates King Arthur and a number of his knights in the wake of an alien invasion of earth a thousand years hence; I got this twelve-issue collection from the early 1980s for me as a birthday gift and I really liked it. Gawain is a father in Johannesberg who gets Merlin's summons and, as the Round Table is reunited, unifies the planet against the aliens and Arthur himself leads an invasion to the source, a tenth planet in our solar system largely taken over by his half-sister Morgana Le Fay.



And the week's just getting started, David

Comments

Popular Posts