It's Weird ... But It's Fun!




That's what Jeffrey said when I was driving him and Sarah to school Monday morning and we had to drive over a strip of road an inch lower than the rest – the vestige of our frequently moving road construction – and bumped down and then up again. And that is what Jeffrey said; we got out of the house having had the kids do their reading for the day (Sarah fifteen minutes a day, Jeffrey ten – and I want them to do more than just the twenty days a month of this reading Minot Public Schools asks of them) and after I got them both to school I got back home with the van – Martha must have the van, but to be fair I don't like driving it as well as our car – and then got ready to make a deposit into our checking account and afterward visit my doctor for a checkup regarding my diabetes. It wasn't as irritating as I usually make it, this visit with Dr. Kundeti, and though I did go down some on my insulin my everything-levels (especially A1C if you know what that is) were much better.



It just annoys me that I'm asked to have a follow-up with my doctor in January, but the front desk at UND can't schedule an appointment time right then, not until December … for they used to be able to. I also wanted to get this done before my neurologist appointment with Dr. Lee a week from tomorrow; sometimes it's just hard to not see doctor visits as obstructions, isn't it? Let's see, Sunday between leaving for church in the morning and getting home and staying there in the afternoon we in reverse order got the kids' Halloween costumes (Jeffrey's going to be a ninja and Sarah's going to be an “orchid ballerina”) from Kmart, got Martha some new work slacks from Goodwill, got lunch at Ground Round where on Sunday afternoons we pay what the kids weigh, respectively seventy-one cents for Sarah and fifty-eight for Jeffrey, got gas for the van at M&H, and before that got to go to the first service at Bethany Lutheran Church and then Sunday school for the kids and me with handbells for Martha!



Let's see, the kids get to have their dress rehearsal with their costumes at church tonight where we're holding a Cub Scout Halloween party in our basement. That's going to be great, and in two nights most likely both Martha and I will be walking and driving the kids around the neighborhood to pick up candy and other things, and of course this year we won't help ourselves to any of it! Nope, no we won't … and there's that bridge in Brooklyn I want to talk to you about too. This was a fun weekend for me; Sunday morning when I had Jeffrey's first grade class in Sunday school (all fourteen kids on the roll showed up) the kid who played Goliath ended up being shorter than the kid who played David – whose name was also David; Jeffrey tried to butter me up for the role before we left for church that morning, but he did a good job with our king puppet as Saul; the puppet for the Philistine king (I called Gather as a pun on Goliath being from the Philistine city of Gath) was the one who's usually Jesus.



And Saturday I was at church for one of the area's GIFTS Bible studies, something I haven't been to in a while. This one happened to be “Acts and the Holy Spirit”, and the presenter was a professor from Luther Seminary. This was also in our church basement (the place was PACKED) and in addition to my King James Version – the big study Bible I keep at work – with me I also brought a copy of my Acts study Unto The Brethren (ISBN 9781449996574), which provided some interesting background FOR ME. In fact, the presenter saw me raising my hand every time when she brought up the major headings in the book, so that she asked if I wanted to teach the seminar! I bowed out of that, but during a break I showed her the study and at the end of the day, after she had also passed around the book I'd brought, I signed it and gave it to her, as well as took an order from a young lady named Tioga for one! Just waiting on that to get here and get signed … might be the start of a new phase for me.



And it's gonna be awesome, David

Comments

Popular Posts