I Wasn't THAT Much Different


Nine years ago ...



Psalm 30:1-5 July 9

graduate students @ Purdue University 10407.09



Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the rembrance [sic.] of his holiness. For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. 4-5



Make the other person feel important – and do it sincerely.



I thought it was a good idea for Martha and me to have insurance. Specifically, combined insurance for an accident happening to either of us or our future children is what I think is handy to have. At forty dollars a month, I don't see the big sacrifice that Martha does; after all, she didn't have to agree to coverage for herself, all I needed was a check from our account.



[Glued to this page on my journal is an interesting tidbit from a WIRED article called “Knowing Your Limits”: 200 million years: Maximum age of sub-oceanic crust. Older than that it cools, becomes denser, and “subducts” back into magma.]



I don't want to go looking for trouble, but I want our family (that Martha and me and any children we MAY have) to have a better-than-fighting chance should something happen. Unfortunately, the policy doesn't cover her breaking my heart.



The [I drove from Florida to North Dakota in a Honda] Acclaim sounds bad again, but I'm trying to ignore Martha and her related doomsayers. The old chassis still has a lot of life in her.



[July 9, 2004 was a Friday so I've also got the Ensign devotional here I posted for that day, a four-paragraph study of the Old Testament book of Malachi. Seriously, this can be done! And that is followed by my review of Anita Diamant's novel The Red Tent, a novelization of the life of Dinah, Jacob and Leah's only daughter from the book of Genesis.]



Now as of this writing …



I want to stretch out our tenth anniversary celebration over the whole week – it's this Friday, but Martha and I will both be working that day. So yesterday (I count it as yesterday even though I gave her the present late Sunday night) I gave Martha a box of six large chocolate truffles that I KNOW she's finished. Today she got an ocean-scented candle from me – I figured something mild would work best for my honey – and tomorrow … yeah right, I'm going to post what I got her here and someone's gonna tell her. My enforcers are out, but they're not quite everywhere. So I say.



Martha got home from McDonald's where she works her second job shortly after ten last night. I'd already picked up the kids, fed them, and naturally for them as brother and sister they got edgy. They were dancing to several YouTube music videos they'd either heard at school or really liked and it such a party! Then Sarah saw a book I'd pulled down from my shelf, an illustrated version of H.G. Wells' novel The Time Machine – one of my favorite books! It warmed my heart to see her paging through it in her pink sequined dress wearing a Santa hat …



And I've got … well, other work to do now, see you soon! David



Comments

Popular Posts