Wouldn't Have Minded Finishing The Dreams I've Been Having Either, A.W.


Saw this on a friend's status, minus the “A.W.” which are that person's initials – I hope they will forgive my using this – and it occurred to me that I forget more details of my dreams than I write down. If I do write them down, it's on the side of the pages in my journal (today you see the cover of my current volume that I began October 31 last year; I've got more than twenty years' worth) and should I come back to read that passage in a year or two, an insight may explode upon me. What do YOU make right now of the likes of these two entries, in my journal dated January 13?

DREAM of Badji a college friend b4 I left to help my parents

DREAM: Revolution, escaping a fortress and swimming w/Dorothy

There is actually a word for that sensation you have of landing back in your body – well, that's what it feels like to me – when you wake from a dream where you're falling. It's called a “myoclonic jerk”. I haven't had that in a while myself, nor has Martha to my knowledge. And today I was reminded to roll the window up when I get out of the Elantra that I drive three-fourths of the time. A few years ago the handle mechanism on the driver's side broke in the door so if I want to get out I have to roll down the window and open the door from the outside. I'm used to it now …

… but lately I've forgotten to roll the window back UP, so when it snows again (as it did last night) I come out in the morning to start the car so Martha who's parked in front of me to get the van out with the kids – her turn today to drive them to school at Longfellow Elementary – and find snow covering half the driver's seat! No problem, I just brush it off but it's just irritating I did that. And evidently freezing rain had also come down last night slash this morning and I could not pull the plug out of the block heater on the front of the car. I was going to wind up the cord so Martha and the kids got out …

but then Martha takes a minute bare-handed to work the cord and unplug it herself. I felt silly. But I admit it here, I'm WAY more impulsive than my wife is, so it's a good thing for both of us that we are together because I'd have probably put us behind the eight ball of bankruptcy years ago. We're a good balancing act, we are, because both careful planning and impulse acting are so helpful to keep a relationship moving I believe. And we always have to be moving, or ought to be, even when some days are just b-l-a-h.

We can't live in our dreams but we can make them come true, David

Comments

Popular Posts