Where Shall I Be In Twenty-Five Years?


Twenty-five years ago ...

Psalm 11                                      February 24
80 days!                                       70 intern days!
friends and exams                       9401.24

When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do? 3

For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face. 7

CHEERFUL COWORKERS and THE OPPORTUNITY TO CELEBRATE EVERY DAY is what I live for! Before I arrive [when I was writing this, at Lake Mary High School for my senior year student teaching] every morning, I play for myself Tchaikovsky ‘s 1812 overture and the “Lone Ranger” theme. [Which are one and the same, but I digress.] Their pace paces me, and I pray I will help me not to be sluggish or slothful today. I go to school with so much energy; I need to come back the same way.

Thank you so much, Lord, for friends like Millard Teal, Zachary Kelly, and Blayne Hall who willingly give unto others. Be with those who have exams today (Mindy Viana in religion, Steve Survance in data processing, and Gayle Littleton in sociology of race, sex, and gender) and spur us all to do our best.

Whoa. 

And in the intervening quarter century between then and now (in which I did NOT become a schoolteacher, but I’ve done other things) I am being reminded, it seems more constantly now, that because I picked out the wrong BLEEP item for my wife that she held back her complaints to watch her heroine Whitney, she doesn’t have to talk to me with anything resembling respect! 

WHOA. 

This weekend it was good to see Jeffrey play his trombone at local competition yesterday and Sarah today walking completely without her boot! It’ll still be a while before full mobility comes back, but it cheers me up to see the kids get stronger and brighter no matter their grooming habits, and even with Martha’s left eye the swelling is going down. 

Mega-whoa. 

Today Jeffrey and I were out to get haircuts after church where not only did we ... well, I enjoyed a heavy brunch between our services as part of our 100th anniversary celebration of Lutheran Social Services but also I was the lesson reader (the “lector” in churchspeak) and a communion assistant. I mark that because I usually sign up for one or the other, not both.

But you usually know if you ask me, I’ll do it. Usually.


David 

Comments

Popular Posts