Sir, that's now. In an hour he could have total recal.


My family and I managed to buy carpet for our stairs at Carpet Garage for under a grand (Martha's negotiating skills were awesome then, I didn't think she had it in her), we bought a range at Menards on the last day of it being on sale for just under four hundred, and we bought a refrigerator at Broadway Used Furniture for just over two hundred. ALL IN FOUR AND A HALF HOURS, and I'm so thankful to God!

Quite honestly, I just hate spending hours over the weekend in Menards (for those who don't know, a Midwestern hardware store chain of which the one in Minot is the number one in the United States – picture True Value on uppers) because in that sense I am NOT a typical guy, a hardware store/home improvement enthusiast. I just ask for a ship and a star to hail her by … oh wait, wrong analogy. But the house is closer to getting done for us to move back in in a few weeks, hallelujah!

Electrical work should be done Wednesday, then the carpet can be laid and lights are in. Before church yesterday we got to turn our bedroom lights on for the first time since last June, and Martha told me yesterday that while Sarah, Jeffrey, and I were at Main Street Books' Story Time our kitchen and bathroom lights are working now as well. I tell you, I'm electrified – you know what I mean – that a goal that seemed so far away is now so without reach …

Like being a Shaklee senior director. So much has happened over the weekend even under withering at best and annoying at worst criticism that my inertia is taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r to overcome. But it's happening. I certainly don't expect the first graders Krista and I taught in Parable Playhouse to be first-year seminary students or even dramatic professionals, so maybe I shouldn't beat myself up that Sarah (yes, that's my daughter Sarah), Samantha, Wyatt, Talon, and Lucas perhaps …

… didn't get so much from the play as they did from our reading the story and occasionally stumbling (I was doing the stumbling because I was reading the text upside down) and contributing by themselves and not what's in the script. Gotta love that. And let me explain the title right quick, as I'm nearly at my five paragraph limit: according to an episode of
Pawn Stars, a first issue first edition of the Charles Dickens novel David Copperfield is distinguished by the top of page 16 beginning with “cannot recal.”

It was caught and corrected in all subsequent issues of the first edition to read “cannot recall”. But that was pretty interesting, it stuck in my head and like most things that do these days, I wrote it down so I wouldn't HAVE to remember it. Also, it's hard to not quote
Total Recall or most movies I grew up with (the 1990 movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, not that why-was-a-good-movie-remade-with-Colin-Farrell this year) when I want to make a point.

Besides it's fun! David

Comments

Popular Posts